Under state and federal law, a facility that generates hazardous waste bears "cradle-to-grave" responsibility for the waste's creation, handling, transport, treatment and ultimate fate.
All Massachusetts waste generators and treatment facilities that initiate shipments of hazardous waste and/or waste oil must use manifests. Forms need to be completed with appropriate waste codes, including those for wastes regulated by Massachusetts only (e.g. MA01 for waste oil).
You may use the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) e-Manifest system to complete, submit, and track manifests electronically. Here is all you need to do:
- Register as a RCRAInfo user (follow the link in Key Actions below).
- Wait for MassDEP to approve your electronic signature.
- Login at RCRAInfo and access e-Manifest.
- Work with your transporter to complete and submit your manifest form(s) electronically.
- Track your hazardous waste shipment(s) online via RCRAInfo.
It takes only minutes to create a RCRAInfo account and between one (1) and seven (7) business days to begin using e-Manifest. See the FAQ in Additional Resources below to learn more.
- Although you may still use paper manifests, EPA and MassDEP strongly encourage you to use the e-Manifest system because it is an easier and less costly way to comply with the regulations.
- You may still use existing MV plus phone number hazardous waste IDs (e.g. MV6170001111) on paper manifests, but will be unable to register as an e-Manifest user or track your shipments online until they are available on the public viewer after 90 days. MassDEP no longer accepts applications for new MV plus phone number IDs.