Guide Hazardous Waste Facilities & Recyclers

Learn about Massachusetts facilities that store, treat, and recycle hazardous wastes, and the regulatory, licensing, permitting, record-keeping and reporting requirements that apply to them.

Licensed Hazardous Waste Facilities

MassDEP licenses hazardous waste facilities for terms of five years. After receiving its license, a facility needs to apply to MassDEP for a:

  • License modification before accepting different wastes, installing new processing equipment or storage tanks, or making other changes to its business (see Key Actions below to apply), and a
  • License renewal before its current five-year term expires. There are opportunities for public involvement at every step of this process.

Currently, the following Massachusetts facilities are licensed to treat and store hazardous waste. See Additional Resources below for a link to detailed licensing information about each of these facilities.

Licensed Hazardous Waste Facilities
MassDEP Central Region MassDEP Northeast Region
Safety-Kleen Systems Inc.
EPA ID: MAD047075734
License: #34B
50A Brigham Street
Marlborough, MA 01752

Murphy's Waste Oil Storage Inc.
EPA ID: MAD066588005
License: #23B
252 Salem Street
Woburn, MA 01801

Safety-Kleen Systems Inc.
EPA ID: MAD096287354
License: #29B
Route 9 
West Brookfield, MA 01585
Safety-Kleen Systems Inc.
EPA ID: MAD060095569
License: #21B
90 Rabbit Road
Salisbury, MA 01952
Tradebe Northborough
EPA ID: MAD052924495
License: #17B
345 W. Main Street
Northborough, MA 01532
Trumvirate Environmental
(Merrimack) Inc. 

EPA ID: MAD047075734
License: #34B
263 Howard Street
Lowell, MA 01851
MassDEP Southeast Region MassDEP Western Region
Clean Harbors of Braintree Inc.
EPA ID: MAD053452637
License: #5B
385 Quincy Avenue
Braintree, MA 02184
General Electric Co.*
EPA ID: MAD002084093
License: #28
100 Woodlawn Avenue
Pittsfield, MA 01201-3678

Cyn Oil Corp.
EPA ID: MAD082303777
License: #18B
1771 Washington Street
Stoughton, MA 02072

Solutia Inc.*
EPA ID: MAD001114818
License: #36B
730 Worcester Street
Indian Orchard, MA 01157
Tradebe Treatment & Recycling
of Stoughton LLC

EPA ID: MAD062179890
License: #31B
441R Canton Street
Stoughton, MA 02072

*Non-commercial facility that stores its own hazardous waste for more than 90 days.

Additional Resources

Permitted Recycling Facilities

MassDEP issues permits authorizing facilities to recycle certain hazardous wastes as an alternative to disposal, and setting specific conditions for this recycling activity. See Key Actions below to apply.

The following Massachusetts facilities below are currently permitted to recycle hazardous wastes, including contaminated soils and precious metals. See Additional Resources below for a link to more detailed permitting information about some of these facilities.

Permitted Hazardous Waste Recyclers

Aggregate Industries
651 Lake Street
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

Recycles: Petroleum-Contaminated Soil

Complete Recycling Solutions
1075 Airport Road
Fall River, MA 02723

Recycles: Mercury-Containing Waste

Aggregate Industries
230 Great Western Road
South Dennis, MA 02660

Recycles: Petroleum-Contaminated Soil

Maxymillian Technologies Inc.
1801 East Street
Pittsfield, MA 01201

Recycles: Petroleum-Contaminated Soil

Aggregate Industries
1101 Turnpike Street
Stoughton, MA 02072

Recycles: Petroleum-Contaminated Soil

Ondrick Materials & Recycling LLC
22 Industry Road
Chicopee, MA 01020

Recycles: Petroleum-Contaminated Soil

Brox Industries Inc.
1471 Methuen Street
Dracut, MA 01826

Recycles: Petroleum-Contaminated Soil (hot mix asphalt only)

Veolia ES Technical Solutions LLC
90 Pleasant Street
West Bridgewater, MA 02379

Recycles: Mercury-Containing Waste



Additional Resources

Licensed Facility & LQG Biennial Reporting

Each Large Quantity Generator (LQG) and Licensed Hazardous Waste Facility in Massachusetts is required to submit an 8700-13 (a)/(b) Hazardous Waste Report (also known as a Biennial Report) to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) every two years.

Starting in 2018, Biennial Reports will need to be filed electronically via the RCRAInfo Industry Application. The following information will need to be submitted:

  • RCRA Subtitle C Site Identification Form,
  • Waste Generation and Management (GM) Form,
  • Waste Received From Off-Site (WR) Form, and
  • Off-Site Identification (OI) Form.

See Additional Resources below to learn more about the new Biennial Reporting process.

Additional Resources

Recycling Facility Annual Reporting

Annual reporting requirements apply to Class A recycling permitted by MassDEP, as well as to Class B and Class C recycling activities.

Reports need to be submitted by March 1 following the calendar year they cover. See Additional Resources below for instructions and forms.

Additional Resources

Hazardous Waste Manifest Requirements

Under state and federal law, a facility that generates hazardous waste bears "cradle-to-grave" responsibility for the waste's creation, handling, transport, treatment and ultimate fate.

All Massachusetts waste generators and treatment facilities that initiate shipments of hazardous waste and/or waste oil must use the six-part National Manifest Form required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The form needs to be completed and the various copies distributed according to the instructions. The appropriate waste codes, including those for wastes that are regulated by Massachusetts only (e.g. MA01 for waste oil), also need to be used.

A generator of hazardous waste and/or waste oil:

  • Does not have to submit a copy of the manifest to MassDEP if the shipment goes directly to a Massachusetts hazardous waste facility.
  • Does have to submit a fully executed photocopy of Copy 3 of the manifest to MassDEP within 30 days of receiving it if the shipment goes directly to an out-of-state hazardous waste facility. Copy 3 should be mailed to:

    MassDEP Bureau of Air & Waste
    Attention: Manifest
    One Winter Street, 7th Floor
    Boston, MA 02108

See Additional Resources below for more information about the National Manifest System and EPA-approved manifest form printers.

Please note that EPA will be moving the National Manifest Form to a new online platform in the near future. Learn more about eManifest.

Additional Resources


Tell us what you think