Starting a business is easier than you think. Use these easy steps to jump-start the process of launching your company. Planning for every aspect of your business and having expert resources available is key to success. This guide will show you the steps to follow and the resources at your disposal.
- This page, Starting a New Business, is offered by
- Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development
- Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development
- Massachusetts Office of Business Development
Starting a New Business
Table of Contents
1. Plan Ahead Before Going Into Business
2. Write a Business Plan
Every great business begins with a plan. And while that plan will evolve over time, this initial document will serve as your guide over the next 3-5 years. Click to view a collection of short articles on creating your own business plan. -From the U.S. Small Business Association (SBA)
3. Get Training and Counseling
Starting a business can be tough, especially if it's your first time. You and your business can succeed by using training, counseling, and other assistance geared towards business owners.
4. Get Advice on Business Financing
5. Use State Services and Grants
6. Choose a Business Structure
7. File for a 'Doing Business As' (DBA) Certificate
A "Doing-Business-As" Certificate (DBA) is a quick and simple way to set up your business through your town or city clerk's office. See if it's right for you and get simple instructions on how to file.
8. Register Your Business with the State
Corporations, LLCs and other business entities need to register with the Secretary of the Commonwealth before beginning business in Massachusetts. Annual updates are usually required as well. Begin and/or update your filings at the Secretary of State's Office.
9. Get a Tax ID and Learn About Tax Rules
Prior to registering your business with the state, you'll need an "Employer Identification Number" (EIN), issued by the IRS. Obtaining one is free and can be done easily online.
Understanding and managing taxes is an important part of running a successful business. Here you'll find many helpful resources on this vital topic.