Apply for a dealer registration
Contact for Apply for a dealer registration
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Apply for a dealer registration
What you need for Apply for a dealer registration
The following documents are required to obtain Dealer plates:
- A Current Dealer License from the city or town in which you are doing business. (M.G.L. c. 140, § 59)
- A Current Business Certificate from the city or town in which you are doing business.
- Corporation papers from the Secretary of State, Department of Corporations and Taxation (if applicable).
- Federal Identification Number/Employer Identification Number (FID/EIN) from the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service. If you do not have an FID/EIN, you can obtain one from the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-4933.If you currently have an FID/EIN, please enclose a copy of one of the following most common forms of proof of an FID/EIN:
- Any pre-printed IRS correspondence that includes corporation name, address, and FID/EIN number
- Federal Tax Deposit Coupon Form 8109
- Form 147C
- Notice of New Employer Identification Number Assigned Form 5372
- CP575 Notice (issued by the IRS). This is a letter sent to a customer to confirm issuance of an FID number.
- Certificate of Exemption Form ST-2 (issued by DOR)
If your business is unincorporated (e.g. a sole proprietor or general partnership), then the pre-printed IRS correspondence must list the owner information in this sequence: the individual’s name, business name, and address.
- For the used vehicle record book choose between the bound book, Electronic Used Car Record book, or the Genesys Systems Inc.
- Franchise agreement letter from the manufacturer, if you are a Class 1 Dealer.
- A list of all authorized users who will have access to the Section 5 plates and a photocopy of a valid driver’s license for each authorized user.
- A photocopy of a legal lease or rental agreement for the property.
- Photos of exterior business signs, as well as the posted business hours and the building’s interior office.
- A floor plan: a diagram of the property you will use to conduct business, which will give a layout of the building and display area.
- Copies of pages from your most recent UVRB and copies of the front and back of titles.
Fees for Apply for a dealer registration
Refer to the RMV's Schedule of Fees.
How to apply Apply for a dealer registration
If you would like access to the eServices portal, you must complete and submit the RMV Business Partner and Administrator Access Form.
Please complete and email to email@example.com.
- Complete and sign the Application for Dealer Registration
- Submit required documents
- Submit check or money order payable to MassDOT
- Mail to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
Attention Section 5 Division
P.O. Box 55897
Boston, MA 02205-5897·
Next steps for Apply for a dealer registration
- Once your application is received, all supporting documents are reviewed for accuracy.
- Within 1 week from the date of review, your paperwork is forwarded to the State Police Compliance Unit.
- You will receive a letter from the RMV Section 5 Division informing you that the application has been received and accepted. This letter includes an investigation number. Use this specific number for all correspondence/inquiries throughout this process.
- If your application is not accepted, you will be notified, via mail indicating the reason for rejection.
- The State Police will make no more than 3 attempts to conduct an investigation. If you receive a message from the State Police, call them back immediately. If the investigation has not been conducted after 3 attempts, your application will be rejected and you will need to reapply.
- Ensure you have reviewed the list of General Requirements and have met all the guidelines. The list of General Requirements is provided with the application, and also sent with your application acceptance letter.
- Within 1 week of the inspection date, you will receive a Registration Application Card at your business address if the site inspection has been acceptable and your application approved by the Registrar. This card requires an Insurance stamp.
- Once you return the stamped card, and pay the appropriate fees, you will be issued a General Registration and plate(s). This process can be completed either in person at 25 Newport Avenue Extension, Quincy Headquarters, or by mail.
More info for Apply for a dealer registration
Definition of a Dealer
A "Dealer" is defined as any person who is engaged principally and substantially in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging motor vehicles, trailers, or motor vehicle bodies and maintains a facility dedicated to carrying out said business and except for a person who exchanges such vehicles on a wholesale basis, is open to the public.
A separate excise tax law applies to "dealers." A motor vehicle dealer to whom a Section 5 registration has been issued shall, for the privilege of such registration, pay to the collector of taxes for the city or town in which such dealership is licensed, a special excise in the amount of $100.00 for each registration plate. The RMV sends a report to the town in late May for these Section 5 registrants. The bills are payable directly to the city or town.