Log in links for this page

Apply for a farm registration

Farm plates are issued to allow the farmer to operate farm equipment on the roads, while moving the equipment from one part of the farm to another.
The complete process should take no more than 4 - 10 weeks from submitting the application to receiving plates.

Registry of Motor Vehicles


Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

The Details of Apply for a farm registration

What you need for Apply for a farm registration

The following documents are required to obtain Farm plates:

  1. A Business certificate from the city or town in which you are doing business.
  2. Corporation papers from the Secretary of State, Department of Corporations and Taxation (if applicable).
  3. A Federal Identification Number/Employer Identification Number (FID/EIN) from the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you do not have an FID/EIN, you can obtain one from the IRS at 1-800-829-4933. If you currently have an FID/EIN, please enclose a copy of one of the following most common forms of proof of an FID/EIN:
  • Any pre-printed IRS correspondence that includes corporation name, address, and FID/EIN number
  • Federal Tax Deposit Coupon Form 8109
  • Form 147C
  • Notice of New Employer Identification Number Assigned Form 5372
  • CP575 Notice (issued by the IRS). This is a letter sent to a customer to confirm issuance of an FID number.
  • Certificate of Exemption Form ST-2 (issued by DOR)

If your business is unincorporated (e.g. a sole proprietor or general partnership), then the pre-printed IRS correspondence must list the owner information in this sequence: the individual’s name, business name, and address.

  1. A list of all authorized users who will have access to the Section 5 plates and a photocopy of a valid driver’s license for each authorized user.
  2. A photocopy of your most recent tax return.
  3. Photocopies of the titles for all vehicles that will be used with the farm registration.

Fees for Apply for a farm registration

Refer to the RMV's Schedule of Fees.

How to apply Apply for a farm registration

To start a new application visit the Online Service Center.

If you would like access to the eServices portal, you must complete and submit the RMV Business Partner and Administrator Access Form.

Please complete and email to rmvbusinesspartners@dot.state.ma.us.

  1. Complete the Application for Farm Registration
  2. Submit the required documents
  3. Include payment by check or money order payable to MassDOT

Mail to:

Registry of Motor Vehicles

Attention: Section 5 Division

P.O. Box 55897

Boston, MA 02205-5897

You may also send your completed application to Section.5.registry@state.ma.us

Next steps for Apply for a farm registration

Processing time

  • Once your application is received, all supporting documents are reviewed for accuracy.
  • Within 1 week from the date of review, your paperwork is forwarded to the State Police Compliance Unit.
  • You will receive a letter from the RMV Section 5 Division informing you that the application has been received and accepted. This letter includes an investigation number. Use this specific number for all correspondence/inquiries throughout this process.
  • If your application is not accepted, you will be notified, via mail indicating the reason for rejection.
  • The State Police will make no more than 3 attempts to conduct an investigation. If you receive a message from the State Police, call them back immediately. If the investigation has not been conducted after 3 attempts, your application will be rejected and you will need to reapply.
  • Ensure you have reviewed the list of General Requirements and have met all the guidelines. The list of General Requirements is provided with the application, and also sent with your application acceptance letter.
  • Within 1 week of the inspection date, you will receive a Registration Application Card at your business address if the site inspection has been acceptable and your application approved by the Registrar. This card requires an Insurance stamp.
  • Once you return the stamped card, and pay the appropriate fees, you will be issued a General Registration and plate(s). This process can be completed either in person at 25 Newport Avenue Extension, Quincy Headquarters, or by mail.

More info for Apply for a farm registration

Definition of Farmer

Farmer, a person substantially engaged in the occupation of farming which shall include, but not be limited to, farming in all its branches, the cultivation and tillage of the soil, dairying, the production, cultivation, growing and harvesting of any agricultural, aquacultural, floricultural or horticultural commodities, the growing and harvesting of forest products upon forest land, the raising of livestock including horses, the keeping of horses as a commercial enterprise, the keeping and raising of poultry, swine, cattle and other domesticated animals used for food purposes, bees, fur-bearing animals, and any forestry or lumbering operations, performed by a farmer engaged in agriculture or farming as herein defined, or on a farm as an incident to or in conjunction with such farming operations including, but not limited to, preparations for market, delivery to storage or to market or to carriers for transportation to market.

Excise Information

A Farmer has the ability to attach its Section 5 plate to a vehicle that has been identified from a list of Compliance decals. As stated earlier, the Compliance decal is issued to a specific vehicle only when the RMV is satisfied that the sale tax and vehicle title requirements are met. The compliance decal information is used to generate the excise tax bill information. The RMV sends an excise report to the town in mid April for these Section 5 registrants. The bills are payable directly to the city or town.

Downloads for Apply for a farm registration

Contact for Apply for a farm registration

Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback