More about:

Apply for a Massachusetts Radioactive Material License

You need a Massachusetts Radioactive Material License issued by the Radiation Control Program to possess or use radioactive material.

Radiation Control Program

The Details

What you need

Before submitting an application, please consult the applicable regulatory guide:

General regulatory guide

Except for applications for XRFs for lead paint analysis, you should follow the program-specific licensing guidance provided for in U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s NUREG-1556 series upon submitting applications to the Agency:

Applications for XRFs for lead paint analysis

These licensing guidance documents are intended to prepare you for the license application and should not be considered as a substitute for your careful evaluation of the proposed use of radioactive material. You must assure that your application correctly and adequately describes the radiation safeguards and procedures to be followed in your radioactive material use program.

How to apply

Mail all required materials to:

Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Radiation Control Program
Schrafft Center, Suite 1M2A
529 Main St.
Charlestown, MA 02129

You can download the Application for Use of Radioactive Material and Application for Use of NARM Portable XRF Device for Lead Paint Use below.



Schrafft Center
529 Main St., Suite 1M2A, Charlestown, MA 02129
(617) 242-3457


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think