Log in links for this page

Apply for a transporter registration

A Transporter plate is issued to allow a transporter the ability to transport self propelling vehicles on the road.
The complete process should take no more than 4 - 10 weeks from submitting the application to receiving plates.

Registry of Motor Vehicles


Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

The Details   of Apply for a transporter registration

What you need   for Apply for a transporter registration

The following documents are required to obtain Transporter plates:

  1. A Business certificate from the city or town in which you are doing business.
  2. Corporation papers from the Secretary of State, Department of Corporations and Taxation (if applicable).
  3. Federal Identification Number/Employer Identification Number (FID/EIN) from the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service. If you do not have an FID/EIN, you can obtain one from the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-4933. If you currently have an FID/EIN, please enclose a copy of one of the following most common forms of proof of an FID/EIN:
  • Any pre-printed IRS correspondence that includes corporation name, address, and FID/EIN number
  • Federal Tax Deposit Coupon Form 8109
  • Form 147C
  • Notice of New Employer Identification Number Assigned Form 5372
  • CP575 Notice (issued by the IRS). This is a letter sent to a customer to confirm issuance of an FID number.
  • Certificate of Exemption Form ST-2 (issued by DOR)

If your business is unincorporated (e.g. a sole proprietor or general partnership), then the pre-printed IRS correspondence must list the owner information in this sequence: the individual’s name, business name, and address.

  1. A list of all authorized users who will have access to the Section 5 plates and a photocopy of a valid driver’s license for each authorized user.
  2. A photocopy of a legal lease or rental agreement for the property.
  3. Photos of exterior business signs, as well as the posted business hours and the building’s interior office.
  4. A floor plan: a diagram of the property you will use to conduct business, which will give a lay out of building and display area.

How to apply   Apply for a transporter registration

To start a new application visit the Online Service Center.

If you would like access to the eServices portal, you must complete and submit the RMV Business Partner and Administrator Access Form.

Please complete and email to rmvbusinesspartners@dot.state.ma.us.

  1. Complete the Application for Transporter Registration
  2. Submit the required documents

Mail to:

Registry of Motor Vehicles

Attention: Section 5 Division

P.O. Box 55897

Boston, MA 02205-5897

You may also send your completed application to Section.5.registry@state.ma.us

Next steps   for Apply for a transporter registration

Processing time

  • Once your application is received, all supporting documents are reviewed for accuracy.
  • Within 1 week from the date of review, your paperwork is forwarded to the State Police Compliance Unit.
  • You will receive a letter from the RMV Section 5 Division informing you that the application has been received and accepted. This letter includes an investigation number. Use this specific number for all correspondence/inquiries throughout this process.
  • If your application is not accepted, you will be notified, via mail indicating the reason for rejection.
  • The State Police will make no more than 3 attempts to conduct an investigation. If you receive a message from the State Police, call them back immediately. If the investigation has not been conducted after 3 attempts, your application will be rejected and you will need to reapply.
  • Ensure you have reviewed the list of General Requirements and have met all the guidelines. The list of General Requirements is provided with the application, and also sent with your application acceptance letter.
  • Within 1 week of the inspection date, you will receive a Registration Application Card at your business address if the site inspection has been acceptable and your application approved by the Registrar. This card requires an Insurance stamp.
  • Once you return the stamped card, and pay the appropriate fees, you will be issued a General Registration and plate(s). This process can be completed either in person at 25 Newport Avenue Extension, Quincy Headquarters, or by mail.

More info   for Apply for a transporter registration

Definition of Transporter

Transporter, any person principally and substantially engaged in the business of transporting or delivering motor vehicles under their own power not owned by him and who possesses a valid license for said business issued by the Department of Public Utilities, or any person or agent thereof, licensed to engage in the business of financing the purchase of or insuring motor vehicles who is required to take into possession such motor vehicles by foreclosure or subrogation of title.

Downloads   for Apply for a transporter registration

Contact   for Apply for a transporter registration

Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.