DFS Code Compliance
Open 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
The Details of Apply for Aboveground Storage Tank Permits
What you need for Apply for Aboveground Storage Tank Permits
You need a permit from the Office of the State Fire Marshal to construct or install new (or used) aboveground storage tanks (ASTs). Upon completion, and a successful inspection, you will receive a use permit for the tank. You must renew permits every five years.
Tank owners must inspect and maintain tanks in accordance with approved standards.
You must apply for a maintenance permit for certain types of work on existing tanks.
Fees for Apply for Aboveground Storage Tank Permits
|Permit for Installation or Construction of Aboveground Storage Tank
|For each tank for the 1st 100,000 gals plus $1 for each additional 1,000 gals
|Permit for Maintenance of Tanks
|Renew an AST Use Permit
How to apply Apply for Aboveground Storage Tank Permits
Submit completed applications, required attachments (3 sets), and fee to:
Department of Fire Services
P.O. Box 1025
Stow, MA 01775
Attn: AST Program
Next steps for Apply for Aboveground Storage Tank Permits
You need an AST permit for:
- all new construction
- new installations of ASTs (including relocated tanks and installation of used tanks).
Applications must include:
- Completed application for installation or construction
- Plot plan reviewed by a MA professional engineer
- Foundation plan reviewed by a MA professional engineer
- Dike plan reviewed by a MA professional engineer
- Mechanical tank drawings reviewed by a MA professional engineer
- Fire safety analysis reviewed by a MA professional engineer.The analysis is only for flammable gases, or where required by the State Fire Marshal.
- You need a detailed inspection investigation and suitability assessment report for used tanks. A professional Massachusetts engineer must review the report.
- Copy of manufacturer's Data Report for Pressure Vessels (if applicable)
- Copy of the land license (MGL C 148 s.13) if applicable
- Copy of the current registration for the property (MGL C 148 s.13) if applicable
- Identification and declaration of approved standard. This is used for the inspection and maintenance of the tank
- The State Fire Marshal may need more information
Submit three sets of the application and attachments.
We will return incomplete applications to you without review.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal reviews applications before issuing permits. Reviews take up to 30 days.
If we approve your application, you will receive a permit to construct the tank with specific requirements.
Installation must start within 6 months and be complete within one year.
Provide documentation to the Office of the State Fire Marshal after the tank is:
- constructed or installed,
- and tested.
We conduct an inspection. If the tank passes the inspection we will issue a use permit that is good for 5 years.
If the local fire department also signs off on applicable permits, you can begin to use your tank.
Tank owners are required to inspect and maintain tanks in accordance with the approved standard.
Renew AST use permits every 5 years.
Submit an application to renew the AST use permit and fee:
- $30 for one tank
- $20 each for two tanks
- $15 each for three tanks of a gross capacity of < 1 million gallons
- $25 each for three tanks of a gross capacity of > 1 million gallons
In November 2020, the State Fire Marshal’s Office will start sending reminders to renew Use Permits. Notices will go to AST owners and operators 45 days before a Use Permit expires. To renew a Use Permit, submit an AST Inspection and Renewal Form with the associated fee.
For certain types of work on existing tanks, you must apply for a maintenance permit. The types of work include the installation, removal, replacement or penetration of any:
- shell plate,
- annular plate ring material,
- tank bottom,
- roof or weld joint
which involves the repair, replacement or installation of any materials larger than 12 inches, or the jacking or movement of any existing tank.
Maintenance does not include:
- routine painting,
- routine cleaning,
- removal of superficial oxidation incidental to painting,
- cleaning or dismantling of a tank done with a valid permit issued by the head of the fire department.
Cutting a hole in a tank to limit the amount of available storage is not considered maintenance.
The application form is currently under development.
Contact for Apply for Aboveground Storage Tank Permits
Address1 State Road, Stow, MA 01775
Open 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback