More about:

File a voluntary administration for an estate

Find out how to file a voluntary administration for an estate and what forms you'll need.

Probate and Family Court locations

The Details

What you need

Voluntary administration is a simplified probate procedure for an estate with minimal assets and no real estate. To complete this process, you'll need to file:

  • Voluntary Administration Statement (MPC 170)
  • A certified copy of the death certificate
  • The original will, if any

You may also need to file:

  • Affidavit as to cause of death (MPC 475) or domicile (MPC 485)

You'll also need to file the following fees. The filing fee includes one attested copy of the Voluntary Administration Statement issued by the Register of Probate. 


Name Fee Unit
Voluntary administration statement filing fee $100 each
Voluntary administration filing surcharge fee $15 each

How to file

Once you have the required forms, you should file them at the Probate and Family Court in the county where the decedent lived at the time of death. 




Tell us what you think