File the long financial form

Find instructions on how to file the financial statement long form in the courts. You should file the long form if your annual income is more than $75,000 a year before taxes.

Probate and Family Court locations

The Details of File the long financial form

What you need for File the long financial form

Each person in your case must file a completed financial statement within 45 days after the plaintiff delivers the complaint to the defendant and at all court hearings involving alimony, child support, division of property, or any other financial matters. If your annual income is more than $75,000 a year before taxes, you need to file a long form. If your income is less than $75,000 a year, file a short form

You may also need to file other forms in addition to the long form.

  • If you are self-employed or own your own business, you need to file Schedule A
  • If you have rental property income, you need to file Schedule B.

Fill out the form completely and truthfully. Your signature indicates that the information you provide is true to the best of your knowledge. Since you are signing under the penalties of perjury, untrue statements can lead to criminal prosecution.

Please note that e-filing forms may not display properly in your browser. Please download the form(s) you need and open them in Acrobat Reader. If you're having trouble accessing forms, please see What to do if you can't open court PDF files.

How to file File the long financial form

Fill in every line. As information is inserted on the long financial statement, it self-calculates for your convenience. If you have nothing to put on a line, write in the word “NONE”. If you need more space for the information in Sections VI, VIII, or IX, you may attach additional sheets of paper. The staff at the Registry of Probate can give you a sample, completed Financial Statement.

I. Personal Information. If you are not currently working, write “Unemployed” in the space where the form asks for “Employer”.

II. Gross Weekly Income/ Receipts from All Sources. Your gross income should reflect all income received before deductions. You must use weekly amounts. List only your income, not the income of other people involved in the case. If you are paid monthly, divide your monthly gross income by 4.3. If you are paid every two weeks, divide your gross income from each paycheck by 2. If you are paid twice a month, divide your gross income from each paycheck by 2.15. Write “NONE” on any line for which you have no income. It is helpful if you bring to court your most recent pay stub. If you are self-employed, bring last year’s tax return, including Schedule C and any other related forms.

III. Weekly Deductions from Gross Income. Fill in the deductions that appear on your paycheck. Use weekly amounts, dividing in the same way that you did for your gross income.

IV. Net Weekly Income. Subtract “Total Deductions” on line III (s) from “Total Income” on line II(r).

V. Gross Income from Prior Year. Fill in your total income from last year before taxes or other deductions and attach copies of last year’s W-2 and 1099 form(s) showing your income.

VI. Weekly Expenses Not deducted from pay. Fill in weekly amounts. Divide monthly amounts by 4.3 to get weekly amounts. Do Not list expenses that you have listed as deductions from your pay in Section III. Do include the weekly payments for any liabilities listed in Section IX. If someone else in your household pays some of the expenses, you should only write down the amount that you actually pay.

VII. Counsel Fees. Write in the amounts that you have paid and that you expect to pay to an attorney. If you have an attorney, he or she can help you complete this section.

VIII. Assets. Fill in the present value of real estate, motor vehicles, pensions and all other assets. For savings, checking money market accounts, certificates of deposit, stocks and bonds list the name of the financial institution and the account number. You should bring to court the most recent statements for all accounts.

IX. Liabilities. List all of your debts on the chart. List the creditor, the kind of debt, when you first borrowed the money (or the date that you were ordered to pay the money) and the current amount due. If your credit card “amount due” column represents multiple purchases made at different times please write “various dates” in the “date incurred” column. If you make payments on a liability, write “see weekly expenses” in “Weekly Payment” column and include the weekly amount in Section VI.

Don't forget to sign and date the form. If you have a lawyer, he or she must complete the “Statement By Attorney” on the back of the form. File the original form with the Probate & Family Court. Keep one copy and mail a copy to the other person in your case. If the other person has a lawyer, mail the copy to the lawyer.

Downloads for File the long financial form

Contact for File the long financial form