More about:

First-time ATV and snowmobile registration

You need to register your ATV or snowmobile before operating it in Massachusetts.

Boat, ATV, and Snowmobile Registration Bureau

The Details

What you need

Documents you'll need:

  • Bill of Sale that includes the seller's name, address and signature. 
    • If you purchased your boat or recreational vehicle from a business, the bill of sale must be written up on the company's letterhead.
  • Proof that you have paid sales tax: complete sales tax Form ST-6 or Form ST-6E. (Please see notes below concerning the ST-6E form.)
  • If your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is new, you will need a copy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN), which is a series of 17 characters found on the frame of the vehicle.
  • A completed Registration & Titling Application
  • Money order or check payable to Commonwealth of Massachusetts for the required fees. Cash, debit, and credit cards are not accepted. 

Important information about sales tax and the ST-6E form: 

  1. Sales tax is due on the 20th day of the following month of date of purchase. Massachusetts sales tax is 6.25% of the total purchase price. If you pay your sales tax late, you will be subject to interest and penalties. Questions about sales tax should be directed to the Department of Revenue at 1-800-392-6089.
  2. If you have previously registered your motorcycle, car, or truck with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (DOT), and you are registering your off-road vehicle with us, too, then you only need to submit a copy of your Massachusetts DOT certificate of registration or title as proof that you have paid sales tax. We no longer require an ST-6E (sales tax exemption form) for this type of registration.


Name Fee Unit
Resident ATV or snowmobile registration $44 2 Years
Non-resident ATV or snowmobile registration $33 1 Year
Vintage Snowmobile $44 each (One time fee)
Transfer of Registration $16.50 each
Duplicate Decals $5.50 each
Dealer Permit (ATV or snowmobile) $55 each (One Year)
Dealer Registration $44 each (Two Years)

How to register

Bring the documents listed above, as well as your check or money order payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, to one of our 5 registration offices (locations listed at the top right of this page). 

Mail in your required documents to one of our registration offices, along with a check for the appropriate fee made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.




Boston Registration Office
251 Causeway Street, Suite 101, Boston, MA 02114
Fall River Registration Office
218 South Main Street, 3rd Floor, Fall River, MA 02721
Hyannis Registration Office
60 Perseverance Way, Hyannis, MA 02601
Springfield Registration Office
1 Federal Street, Building 101, Springfield, MA 01105
Worcester Registration Office
67 Millbrook Street, Suite 350, 3rd Floor, Worcester, MA 01606
Boston Registration Office Fax (617) 626-1630
Fall River Registration Office (508) 679-0066
Hyannis Registration Fax (508) 771-2334
Springfield Registration Fax (413) 733-2154
Worcester Registration Fax (508) 752-6132


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think