Boat, ATV, and Snowmobile Registration Bureau
The Details of First-time ATV and snowmobile registration
What you need for First-time ATV and snowmobile registration
Documents you'll need:
- Bill of Sale that includes the seller's name, address and signature.
- If you purchased your boat or recreational vehicle from a business, the bill of sale must be written up on the company's letterhead.
- Electronic signatures are accepted on a bill of sale/purchase agreement only when accompanied by a printed email chain giving approval of these type signatures between the buyer and seller or broker and client.
- Proof that you have paid sales tax: complete sales tax Form ST-6 or Form ST-6E. (Please see notes below concerning the ST-6E form.)
- You can pay this 6.25% tax online and print out your receipt.
- If your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is new, you will need a copy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
- The vehicle identification number (VIN), which is a series of 17 characters found on the frame of the vehicle.
- A completed Registration and Titling Application
- A check or money order (made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts) or Credit Card / Debit Card.
- No cash accepted.
Important information about sales tax and the ST-6E form:
- Sales tax is due on the 20th day of the following month of date of purchase. Massachusetts sales tax is 6.25% of the total purchase price. If you pay your sales tax late, you will be subject to interest and penalties. Questions about sales tax should be directed to the Department of Revenue at 1-800-392-6089.
- If you have previously registered your motorcycle, car, or truck with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (DOT), and you are registering your off-road vehicle with us, too, then you only need to submit a copy of your Massachusetts DOT certificate of registration or title as proof that you have paid sales tax. We no longer require an ST-6E (sales tax exemption form) for this type of registration.
Fees for First-time ATV and snowmobile registration
|Resident ATV or snowmobile registration
|Non-resident ATV or snowmobile registration
|each (One time fee)
|Transfer of Registration
|Dealer Permit (ATV or snowmobile)
|each (One Year)
|each (Two Years)
How to register First-time ATV and snowmobile registration
Bring the documents listed above, as well as a check or money order (made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts) or credit card / debit card, to one of our 5 registration offices (locations listed at the top right of this page).
Mail in your required documents to one of our registration offices, along with a check or money order for the appropriate fee made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Downloads for First-time ATV and snowmobile registration
Contact for First-time ATV and snowmobile registration