Log in links for this page

Register a limited use vehicle

If your car meets the requirements of a limited use vehicle, you can register it with the RMV.

Registry of Motor Vehicles


Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

The Details   of Register a limited use vehicle

What you need   for Register a limited use vehicle

A "limited use vehicle" is any motor vehicle that meets all of the following requirements:

  • Has 2 or more wheels
  • Has a certificate of origin
  • Has a 17 character VIN
  • Has been certified by the manufacturer to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for that particular class of vehicle (e.g. passenger, motorcycle, truck, etc.), and
  • Whose speed on a paved level surface can exceed 30 miles per hour but is not capable of exceeding 40 miles per hour

In most instances the maximum speed of the vehicle will not be on the certificate of origin. It will be up to the dealer, insurance agent, and the customer to ensure the vehicle is properly registered.

Fees   for Register a limited use vehicle

Refer to the RMV's Schedule of Fees.

How to register   Register a limited use vehicle

To register your limited use vehicle, bring the following an RMV Service Center:

  • You must complete and sign the Registration and Title Application if you are the owner. If the vehicle is purchased from a Massachusetts licensed dealer, the dealer will complete the application.
  • The completed application must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
    • A manufacturer's certificate of origin (new vehicles only), or
    • The previous owner's certificate of title, dealer reassignment form if applicable, or
    • The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt
  • Applicable fees

More info   for Register a limited use vehicle

Types of registrations available

  • Passenger
  • Commercial
  • Livery
  • Motorcycles
  • Taxis

If a two or three-wheeled vehicle has a maximum speed greater than 30 mph and has not been certified by its manufacturer as a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it cannot be registered as a moped or a limited use vehicle and cannot be legally operated on the roads of the Massachusetts.

Downloads   for Register a limited use vehicle

Contact   for Register a limited use vehicle

Ask the RMV Ask the RMV 

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.