Contact for Register a limited use vehicle
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Register a limited use vehicle
What you need for Register a limited use vehicle
A "limited use vehicle" is any motor vehicle that meets all of the following requirements:
- Has 2 or more wheels
- Has a certificate of origin
- Has a 17 character VIN
- Has been certified by the manufacturer to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for that particular class of vehicle (e.g. passenger, motorcycle, truck, etc.), and
- Whose speed on a paved level surface can exceed 30 miles per hour but is not capable of exceeding 40 miles per hour
In most instances the maximum speed of the vehicle will not be on the certificate of origin. It will be up to the dealer, insurance agent, and the customer to ensure the vehicle is properly registered.
Fees for Register a limited use vehicle
Refer to the RMV's Schedule of Fees.
How to register Register a limited use vehicle
To register your limited use vehicle, bring the following an RMV Service Center:
- You must complete and sign the application for registration & title (RMV-1 form) if you are the owner. If the vehicle is purchased from a Massachusetts licensed dealer, the dealer will complete the RMV-1.
- The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
- A manufacturer's certificate of origin (new vehicles only), or
- The previous owner's certificate of title, dealer reassignment form if applicable, or
- The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt
- Applicable fees
More info about Register a limited use vehicle
Types of registrations available
If a two or three-wheeled vehicle has a maximum speed greater than 30 mph and has not been certified by its manufacturer as a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it cannot be registered as a moped or a limited use vehicle and cannot be legally operated on the roads of the Massachusetts.