Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
Contact for Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
What you need for Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
To renew your commercial driver's license:
- Decide what type of license you want – a REAL ID commercial driver's license (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts commercial driver's license (not valid for federal purposes). Need help deciding? Try our REAL ID: Real answers tool.
- Start your application online
- Bring the required documentation to an RMV Service Center:
- Massachusetts residency (2 documents)
- Social Security number (1 document)
- Lawful presence (1 document)
- If your name differs on the lawful presence document, you must also provide proof of the legal name change
All of the endorsements on your current CDL will be renewed with license, with the exception of the HazMat (‘H’) endorsement. If you have an ‘H’ endorsement, see requirements in the More Info section below.
Fees for Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
|Class A (5 Year License)||$75||each|
|Class B (5 Year License)||$75||each|
|Class C (5 Year License)||$75||each|
How to renew Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
To renew your CDL:
- Bring the completed application, along with all proper documentation and fees to an RMV Service Center.
- You will need to complete the CDL self-certification form and bring it with you to the service center.
Most service centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.
You cannot renew your CDL online. However, you can get ready by completing the application online and answering a series of questions. At the end of the questionnaire, you will be provided with a complete application and list of required documents that you will need to bring with you to an RMV Service Center.
More info about Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
The RMV will send your new driver’s license to the mailing address on record for you in 5-7 days.
If you are looking to renew a hazardous materials endorsement, there are two requirements you must meet:
- Apply for and successfully pass the Transportation Security Administration's security background check. This is required for all hazardous materials endorsement applicants. It could take approximately 60 days or more to receive the results.
- Take and pass the hazardous materials endorsement exam. You can do this at the same time you renew your CDL.
Unpaid fines or taxes
You can check the status of your driver’s license to find out if you have unpaid fines or excise taxes that will prevent you from renewing your driver's license. You will need to pay any outstanding obligations before renewing your license.
- Parking tickets or excise taxes — Pay the tickets or taxes, and get a receipt from the city or town showing that items have been paid.
- EZ-Pass MA — Call customer service at (877) 627-7745 to pay your violations.