Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
Registry of Motor Vehicles
What you need
Effective March 26, 2018, to get or renew any driver's license, ID card, or learner's permit, you need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law. Visit mass.gov/id for more information.
To renew your commercial driver's license:
- Decide what type of ID you want – a REAL ID (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts ID (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at mass.gov/id to decide
- Complete your application online
- Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center
All of the endorsements on your current CDL will be renewed with license, with the exception of the HazMat (‘H’) endorsement. If you have an ‘H’ endorsement, see requirements in the More Info section below.
How to renew
To renew your CDL:
- Bring the completed application, along with all proper documentation and fees to an RMV Service Center.
- You will need to complete the CDL self-certification form and bring it with you to the service center.
Most service centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.
The RMV will send your new driver’s license to the mailing address on record for you in 5-7 days.
If you are looking to renew a hazardous materials endorsement, there are two requirements you must meet:
- Apply for and successfully pass the Transportation Security Administration's security background check. This is required for all hazardous materials endorsement applicants. It could take approximately 60 days or more to receive the results.
- Take and pass the hazardous materials endorsement exam. You can do this at the same time you renew your CDL.
Unpaid fines or taxes
You can check the status of your driver’s license to find out if you have unpaid fines or excise taxes that will prevent you from renewing your driver's license. You will need to pay any outstanding obligations before renewing your license.
- Parking tickets or excise taxes — Pay the tickets or taxes, and get a receipt from the city or town showing that items have been paid.
- EZ-Pass MA — Call customer service at (877) 627-7745 to pay your violations.