Replace your Class D, M, or Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)

If your learner’s permit has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it as soon as possible. You must have a valid learner’s permit in your possession to legally drive.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details

What you need

To replace your permit, you will need:



Name Fee Unit
Replacement Learner's Permit Fee $15 each

How to replace

Bring the completed application, along with all proper documentation and fees to an RMV Service Center.

You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.

More info

You may only operate a vehicle when accompanied by a licensed operator. A licensed operator is a person licensed by their home state, has at least 1 year of driving experience, is at least 21 years of age and holds a valid license for the class of vehicle driven. Your permit must be with you while you are operating the vehicle.

If you are under 18 years of age, you may not drive between the hours of 12 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless accompanied by a licensed parent/guardian and has 1 year of driving experience. The parent/guardian must occupy the seat next to you. You may not operate a vehicle outside Massachusetts if the state's laws prevent you from doing so.



Tell us what you think