Submit annual certification of entity tax status with DOR
Contact for Submit annual certification of entity tax status with DOR
The Details of Submit annual certification of entity tax status with DOR
How to enter Submit annual certification of entity tax status with DOR
The certification must be completed online with MassTaxConnect.
More info about Submit annual certification of entity tax status with DOR
Under Massachusetts General Laws chapters 59, 60A, 63, and 58, section 2 the Commissioner of the Department of Revenue is responsible for compiling an annual list of corporations which are subject to:
- Property tax
- Motor vehicle excise tax
- Business corporate taxes
Board of assessors in Massachusetts rely on this list to provide critical information to determine applicability of specific property tax exemptions directed at different classifications of corporations.
- The list also allows DOR to gather additional information to:
- Capture unincorporated companies such as:
- Business trusts (that are treated as corporations for federal income tax purposes)
- Subsidiary-unitary members reported on combined returns that had been excluded from previous lists.
- Limited liability companies (LLCs) that aren't corporations and shouldn't be included in the annual list.
Most legal entities treated as corporations must file the annual certification with the Department of Revenue. The following three types do not have to file:
- Sole proprietorships
- No-profit entities
- Entities with no personal property in Massachusetts
The certification must be completed on MassTaxConnect.
For more information, select Annual Certification of Entity which can be found under MassTaxConnect's Frequently Asked Questions.
For questions regarding the Corporations Book, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.