Log in links for this page
- This page, WM 04: Herbicide Application, is offered by
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
WM 04: Herbicide Application
WM 04 Contact
The Details of WM 04: Herbicide Application
What you need for WM 04: Herbicide Application
This license serves two major functions.
- It provides a review of chemical applications to aquatic systems (traditionally lakes and ponds) to ensure that they are being implemented utilizing currently acceptable procedures and materials, in order to maintain environmental and public health to the maximum extent possible under the circumstances.
- It provides a means for keeping records, for future reference, of chemicals that have been introduced into specific areas.
Anyone wishing to apply chemicals to bodies of water must apply for this permit, except under the following conditions:
- When treatment is undertaken by employees and agents of the Departments of Environmental Protection, Environmental Management, and Fisheries, Wildlife and Environmental Law Enforcement, or of the Reclamation Board, or of related Federal agencies, while in the conduct of their official duties; OR
- When treatment is undertaken with algaecides containing copper by a public water system. However, the public water system shall notify the Department in writing prior to the application of such algaecides. [310 CMR 22.20B(8), the Drinking Water Regulations]; OR
- When treatment is undertaken in privately owned (single owner) ponds from which there are no flowing outlets.
How to apply WM 04: Herbicide Application
If you are a new user, you will need to create an account first.
Next steps for WM 04: Herbicide Application
Guidance on how to prepare your application, including a completeness checklist.