Assessments and Audits: Energy Savings Start Here

Energy efficiency information for Massachusetts Business and Institutions

All businesses and institutions can benefit from the services and incentives offered by local utilities, energy efficiency service providers, and by the U.S Department of Energy (DOE). Always start any efficiency project, including installing Combined Heat and Power (CHP) systems, by learning what's available today and working closely with your utility. 

Energy Feasibility Audits

Mass Save® is an initiative sponsored by Massachusetts' gas and electric utilities and energy efficiency service providers, including Bay State Gas Company, Berkshire Gas Company, Cape Light Compact, National Grid, New England Gas Company, NSTAR, Unitil, and Western Massachusetts Electric Company. Sign up for an energy assessment through Mass Save to improve your energy performance.

Mass Save® for Business

Mass Save® Eligible Equipment

If you are interested in a CHP system, contact your electric utility program administrator or enroll in the CHP rebate program

Customers served by municipal power and light (MPL) departments are urged to contact them directly.  

Plant Energy Assessments

The DOE offers two types of site assessments for industrial manufacturing plants.

  • Large plants (annual energy bills of approximately $3M) may be eligible to receive a free, three-day, on-site Energy Savings Assessment by DOE experts. For a limited time, the DOE is also accepting applications for energy management certifications through the Save Energy Now Leader initiative.
  • Small- and medium-sized plants (annual gross sales below $100M and annual energy bills between $100K and $2M) may be eligible for a free, one-day energy assessment by the Industrial Assessment Center (IAC), a federally sponsored program administered by the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. If your plant is eligible, contact the Massachusetts Energy Efficiency Partnership (MAEEP) for assistance, which works with the IAC to support plants including technical assistance to implement efficiency measures.

Technical Assistance

In addition to obtaining utility support for efficiency, larger energy users should consider a comprehensive energy audit and/or a performance contract from an Energy Service Company (ESCO) listed at the National Association of Energy Service Companies.

Hands-on technical assistance is available to support businesses and institutions in developing energy strategies; contact your utility via Mass Save® for more information. The Office of Technical Assistance and Technology provides assistance for TURA (Toxics Use Reduction Act) members; contact John Raschko at 617-626-1093 or Jim Cain at 617-626-1081.

For questions on commercial energy efficiency contact Ian Finlayson, Deputy Director, Energy Efficiency Division at 617-626-4910 or

Contact for Assessments and Audits: Energy Savings Start Here

Help Us Improve with your feedback