Avoiding Scams and Frauds

Tips on avoiding scams and frauds after a disaster.

After a disaster strikes, be alert for related scams and fraud. Scam artists may pose as FEMA or other government officials, aid workers, or employees from charitable organizations or insurance companies in order to get your personal information or take your money.

Safeguard Against Scams and Fraud

  • Ask for identification. A shirt or jacket is not proof of someone’s affiliation.

  • Beware of people going door-to-door or cold-calling you. Con artists will ask for personal information.

  • Use contact information posted on government websites or from other official sources

  • Do not give personal information to people who claim to be government employees. If you apply for individual assistance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will ask for your Social Security or bank account number during registration.

  • Don’t provide personal information on the phone if you didn’t start the call

  • If in doubt, do not give out your information. Report anyone claiming to be a government worker to local police.

  • FEMA-contracted housing inspectors assess damages, but do not determine cost estimates. They also don’t hire or endorse specific contractors to repair damage.

  • Some people may pose as insurance specialists who can convince FEMA to increase home damage assistance. Ignore them.

  • Public insurance adjusters often come to the scene of a disaster to promote their services. Read this Massachusetts Division of Insurance Consumer Alert – Public Insurance Adjusters for tips on choosing a public insurance adjuster.

  • Some scammers may attempt to purchase goods with fake FEMA vouchers. FEMA does not offer vouchers.

  • Only donate to recognized disaster relief organizations. See Donations and Volunteers for tips on donating and volunteering responsibly.

Consult a Professional

It’s best to consult licensed construction supervisors, oil burner technicians, gas fitters, plumbers, or electricians and registered home improvement contractors before starting any major repairs. Doing so can often save time, money, and headaches over the course of the project. Keep these tips in mind when researching licensed professionals:

  • Check the licenses of construction supervisors and oil burner technicians on the Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) License Verification Site
    • Check licenses for gas fitters, plumbers, or electricians through the Division of Professional Licensure’s (DPL) Check a Professional License
  • Check registered home improvement contractors on the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation’s (OCABR) Home Improvement Contractor Registration Lookup
  • FEMA does not have approved contractors. Be wary of contractors who say they are affiliated with the agency.
  • Do not enter into any construction agreements without a written contract. Don’t sign any contracts with blank spaces, or details you don’t understand.

Obtain Proper Building Permits when Rebuilding

  • Contact your local building inspector’s office about permit requirements before starting repairs. Sometimes permit fees are waived after a disaster as part of the rebuilding process. The Massachusetts Board of Building Regulations and Standards encourages contractors to apply for permits on behalf of building owners.
  • Schedule any necessary inspections. As part of the permitting process, local building inspectors must inspect the work being done to ensure it meets all relevant codes and standards.
  • Document all work. Keep records of building permits, inspections, etc. for insurance and other record-keeping.

For additional information, see Home Improvement guidance from the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation (OCABR).

Report Scams and Fraud

If you notice suspicious activity in your neighborhood, or suspect someone is trying to commit fraud, report it immediately to your local police department.

  • To check the history of a business or to file a complaint about a scam, contact the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office (AGO) Consumer Hotline, 1-617-727-8400. You may also file consumer complaints through their Consumer Complaint form. The AGO’s Elder Hotline (1-888-243-5337) can assist citizens over the age of 60.
  • To file a complaint or ask questions, call the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation Consumer Hotline at 1-888-283-3757
  • To report contractors, inspectors, insurance representatives, or survivors who may have defrauded the government after a disaster, call the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline toll-free at 1-866-720-5721

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.