The CIB Director leads an experienced staff of tax fraud investigators, attorneys, and support personnel that investigates violations of the Commonwealth’s tax laws and related financial crimes. On tobacco-related investigations, the CIB works closely with the Illegal Tobacco Task Force and with civil tobacco inspectors from the DOR Miscellaneous Excise Bureau.
CIB works to:
- Ensure that vigorous criminal enforcement is an essential part of an integrated tax compliance strategy,
- Fulfill the expectation of honest taxpayers that tax evaders will be held accountable,
- Deter future violations through publicity of successful investigations or prosecutions, and
- Provide support to prosecutors’ offices (Attorney General’s Office, District Attorney’s Office, and United States Attorney’s Office) by investigating tax-related crimes with our state, local, and federal partners.
In addition to receiving investigative leads from within DOR, CIB receives leads from concerned citizens, law enforcement agencies, legislators, and other local, state, and federal agencies. Based upon the results of the investigation, CIB will refer the matter for civil enforcement or pursue criminal charges with the appropriate county, state, or federal prosecutor.
- 11/24/21: Former Accountant Charged in Connection With Scheme to Hide Wareham Company’s Taxable Sales From the State
- 10/26/21: Twelve Individuals and Three Stores in Chelsea, Boston, and North Reading Indicted in Connection With Perjury and Tax-Avoidance Lottery Scheme
- 10/06/21: Former Laundromat Owner Sentenced to One Year in Jail for Failing to File Taxes for Six Years
- 4/14/21: Westfield Business Owner Charged in Connection With Scheme to Defraud State of Sales Tax on Meals
- 3/19/21: Springfield Man Indicted in Connection With Selling Untaxed Tobacco to Convenience Stores, Evading $4 Million in Taxes
- 1/25/21: Bookkeeper Charged with Fraud and Tax Evasion
- 1/12/21: Salem Man Arrested on Charges Arising from Fraudulent Tax Returns
- 3/13/20: Former Treasurer of Newton PTO Pleads Guilty, Sentenced to Jail in Connection with Stealing Money
- 10/07/20: Sharon Man Charged in Connection with Major Illegal Tobacco Operation
- 1/10/20: Former Laundromat Owner Found Guilty on Tax Fraud Charges
Law enforcement personnel seeking assistance with a state tax investigation should contact CIB via email CriminalBureau@dor.state.ma.us or call (617) 626-3210.
Massachusetts Department of Revenue
Criminal Investigations Bureau
100 Cambridge Street, Suite 700
Boston, MA 02114