Q1: Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
What are the selection criteria for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program?
To be considered for a Harvard Bradford Fellowship, a manager must:
- Be a college graduate
- Have taken the GRE (or GMAT) within the last five years; or schedule a date to take the test by calling 800-473-2255
- Be accepted for admission by Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, for its Mid-Career MPA Program
- Upon application, occupy a full time position, be paid from the AA subsidiary, have at least twelve (12) months of full-time service with the Commonwealth, be in an active status, classified as management at levels MV - MXII within the Executive Branch, or be a member of the Massachusetts State Police Department classified as a Lieutenant or above. Contract employees, non-management employees or employees classified below Lieutenant or MV who occupy a qualifying position in an "acting" capacity are not eligible
- Possess at least seven years of professional work experience in federal, state, municipal or county government, including time spent as a consultant or volunteer working for a public or private non-profit organization; or as a manager in a private non-profit organization
- Be recommended by the appointing authority and supervisor
- Be willing to sign an agreement to serve in Massachusetts State Government in the Commonwealth in the same or higher level management grade for a minimum of two years following graduation, or to repay the salary received while attending the program if one defaults on this agreement. This repayment provision will not apply if the individual is not offered a position at the same or higher-level management grade
- Not have applied for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship more than 3 times
Q2: Havard Kennedy School Open Houses
I will not be able to attend the open house for the Mid-Career information session. Will there be another information session offered?
The Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) offers one information session specifically for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship prospective applicants per year. Note there are at least three Open Houses along with various recruiting events during the Fall months available for the general public. Prospective applicants are welcome to stop in the Admissions Office to discuss the program, at any time. Please check the HKS 2019 Fall Open House Schedule for more information.
Q3: GRE/GMAT, LSAT requirements
The fellowship application indicates an exception from the GRE/GMAT requirement for the mid-career MPA program. Is that correct? I took the LSAT. Do you still need to take the GRE/GMAT?
The GRE/GMAT is required for the HKS MPA program. The LSAT is not accepted unless you are applying for a joint/concurrent degree program with Harvard Law School.
Q4: Attend a class or meet with students/alumni
Is it possible to sit in on a class or meet with students/alumni to learn more about the program?
Yes. An Admissions Officer can direct you regarding sitting in on a class, meeting students/alumni and speaking with the Program Director. You are welcome to attend the Commonwealth’s Ask An Alum event in October. Also, there will be an opportunity to visit classes and meet current students during any of the Open Houses held at HKS.
Q5: State service requirement
I have worked for the Commonwealth across multiple secretariats, in a number of positions for over 7 years. Do all my years working for the State count towards the seven-year requirement?
The seven years of state service are cumulative and all count toward the requirement. Note years of service are validated through the HR/CMS system, the Commonwealth’s system of record employee data.
Q6: Application submittal/extended deadlines
Is it possible to submit the Commonwealth’s Harvard Bradford Fellowship application, at any time before the due date?
Yes. The completed online application form, with all requested signatures, must be submitted to by the posted due date and time. No deadline extensions will be granted.
Q7: Applicant Exclusions
Who is excluded from participating in the Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program? Why?
Excluded from participation are employees: appointed directly by the Governor; whose salary, by statutory requirement, is set by the Governor; in public institutions of Higher Education; in the Office of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor, Attorney General and State Treasurer; in county government organizations; in the Legislative and Judicial branches; within Massachusetts public authorities or other quasi-public agencies. In addition, contract employees, non-management employees or employees classified below Lieutenant or MV who occupy a qualifying position in an "acting" capacity are not eligible. The Harvard Bradford Fellowship was designed and designated for Executive Branch managers and members of the Massachusetts State Police Department classified as a Lieutenant or above who have a shown commitment to public service and who have demonstrated leadership potential.
The terms of the fellowship are very specific per the donor preference and eligibility criteria must be followed.
Q8: I have a graduate degree. Can I still apply for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program?
I have a graduate degree. Can I still apply for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program?
Applicants who hold a graduate degree must specifically address what an MPA would offer them that their current graduate degree does not, in reaching their management career goals.
Q9: Required applications
Do I have to complete the Harvard Kennedy School admission application and the Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program application?
Yes. Prospective candidates must Submit a completed application for admission directly to HKS online by the stated deadline. Separately, a completed Bradford Fellowship Program application must be submitted online and all required forms and signatures must be submitted directly to the Human Resources Division by the stated deadline . No deadline extensions will be granted for either application.
Q10: Deferring HKS admission
If I am not successful in receiving the Harvard Bradford Fellowship, may I defer my admission offer and apply again for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship in the next year?
Yes. All deferral of admission offer requests must be submitted directly to the HKS Office of Admissions.
Q11: Limit to the number of times an applicant may apply
Is there a limit to the number of times an applicant may apply?
You may apply for the Harvard Bradford Fellowship for a total of three (3) times.