What you need
- Information about each employee or independent contractor included in the return
- The Social Security Number or ITIN for each employee
- The first and last name of each employee or contractor
- The wages for employee or contractor
Log in to MassTaxConnect.
- Once you have logged in, let’s start by clicking on the "Paid Family and Medical Leave" account.
- Click on the "File Return" link next to the period that you would like to file.
- Enter a Social Security Number or ITIN, First Name and Last Name for each employee and indicate if any are Independent Contractors. Select "Opt in" if the employee is not a covered contract worker and is choosing to opt in to the program. Enter year to date wages for each employee, and then enter their wages for the current quarter. Enter the percentage of Medical contribution deducted from the employee and enter the percentage of the Family contribution deducted from the employee. Once you have finished, click Next.
- Verify that all the information you entered is correct, then click Next.
- Select the way you would like to pay. In this example, we will choose to make an electronic payment from your checking or savings account.
- Select your bank account type, enter your bank's routing number, account number, and then confirm your account number. Select whether or not you would like to save this payment information for future use and then confirm your payment amount. Click Next.
- Once you have verified that your return and payment information and amount are correct, click Submit.
You have now filed your Paid Family and Medical Leave return and made a payment.
All PFML step-by-step videos and instructions (DOR)
- File a return and remit a contribution for Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
- Upload a bulk Paid Family and Medical Leave return
- Upload an Excel spreadsheet and make a payment for Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Request a Paid Family and Medical Leave exemption
For all further questions regarding applying for a Private Plan Exemption or registering your account on MassTaxConnect, please contact DOR at (617) 466-3950 to speak to a PFML representative.