This page, Identity proof for paid leave, is offered by

Identity proof for paid leave

In order to approve your request for paid family or medical leave, the Department of Family and Medical leave will need to confirm your identity. You will be asked to provide copies of one or more of these documents during your application process.

Table of Contents


When applying for paid family or medical leave, you’ll be asked to upload proof of your identity to double-check that you are eligible, and to make sure that we send benefits to the right person.

The easiest way to do this will be to provide a color copy of your Massachusetts driver's license or ID. If you don't have a Massachusetts driver’s license or ID, these are the acceptable documents for ID Proofing:

  • A valid, unexpired U.S. State or Territory Real-ID License or ID

  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card

  • A valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

  • An employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued by DHS, Form I-766, or Form I-688B

  • A valid, unexpired foreign passport AND a work visa as defined by the U.S. Department of State

If you don’t have any of the options above, you’ll need one to provide color copies of 2 documents: one to prove your legal ability to live and work in the U.S., and one to check your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification number (ITIN).

To demonstrate your legal ability to live and work in the U.S., you can use a color copy of any one of these documents:

  • A valid, unexpired U.S. State or Territory License or ID (not marked for federal Real-ID compliance)

  • A certified copy of your birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in your state of birth. (A Puerto Rican birth certificate will only be accepted if it was issued on or after July 1, 2010. For more information on the Puerto Rican birth certificate law, visit the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration.)

  • A certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560, or Form N-561, issued by DHS

  • A certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)

You can then provide proof of your 9-digit SSN or your ITIN using a copy of one of the following documents:

  • A SSN Card

  • A W-2 Form

  • An SSA-1099 Form

  • A Non-SSA-1099 Form

  • A pay stub with your full name and SSN on it

  • An authorization letter from the IRS displaying your 9-digit individual tax identification number

No matter which option or options you choose to use, you must include both the front and back of the document for it to be accepted. Document copies must be in color to be accepted. Only PDF and image files (.jpg, .jpeg, .png) are accepted. Files must be smaller than 3.5 MB.



For questions about benefits and eligibility: (833) 344-7365

Department of Family and Medical Leave - Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m - 5 p.m.

For questions about contributions and exemptions: (617) 466-3950

Department of Revenue - Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.