Information on Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Licensing

Learn about getting your speech-language pathologist or audiologist license

General Information

The Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology offers professional  licensing and oversight for the following professions:

  • Speech-Language Pathology
  • Speech-Language Pathology Assistant
  • Audiology
  • Audiology Assistant

Licensing applications can be submitted by mail or online to Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.

Questions regarding the application process should be directed to the Board by e-mail at or by calling 617-624-6125.

Board Regulations

Prior to completing the application, please review the Board’s regulations, set forth at 260 Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR).  You may purchase an official copy of 260 CMR in person at the State Bookstore located at the Massachusetts State House, Room 116, Boston, MA 02133, or you may order a copy online through the Secretary of State. The Board also maintains an unofficial, courtesy copy of the regulations accessible through the Statutes and Regulations section of its website. 

Initial Licensure vs. Reciprocal Licensure

There are two types of applications: Initial Licensure and Reciprocal Licensure. If after reading the instructions below you are not sure which type of application to submit, or you believe unusual circumstances apply, please contact Board staff at or by calling 617-624-6125.   

  • Initial Licensure: This license is generally appropriate for recent graduates who are not currently licensed in a jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
  • Reciprocal Licensure: This license is generally appropriate for applicants who are currently licensed in another U.S. jurisdiction, outside of Massachusetts, and who hold a current American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Certification.
    • To apply for a reciprocal license, you'll need to submit a verification letter for each license or certification you hold outside the Commonwealth from the board that issued the license. Each letter should include details about any discipline taken against the license or certification.


All applicants are required to pay a non-refundable application fee of $68. This fee can be paid online at the end of the application process with either a check or credit card. Please note that a convenience fee will be assessed for credit card payments.  

Application Decisions

The Board will not advise individuals as to their eligibility for licensure until a complete application with all supporting documentation has been reviewed. Licensure eligibility can only be determined through the application process.

Licensing Benefits for Active Duty Military, Relocated Military Spouses, and Veterans

The Division of Professional Licensure (DPL) and the Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology are pleased to offer licensing benefits to active duty members of the military, relocated military spouses, and veterans, pursuant to the Veterans’ Access, Livelihood, Opportunity and Resources Act (VALOR Act) and the new VALOR Act II, signed into law on April 4, 2014. These benefits include:

  • Credit for related military experience
  • Extensions of the license renewal period
  • Expedited licensing processing
  • Waiver of certain licensing fees

To apply for any of these licensing benefits, interested parties must self-identify as an active duty member of the military, military spouse, or veteran. To apply for these benefits or for more information, please visit VALOR Act benefits.

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.