Learn about your rights in a Child Requiring Assistance case

Find out what rights parents, guardians, and children have in Child Requiring Assistance (CRA) cases.

Table of Contents

Parents’ & guardians' rights

Parents, legal guardians, and custodians of a child in a CRA case have many rights, including:

  • The right to attend all court hearings
  • The right to be represented by an attorney at any hearing where the judge considers removing your child from your custody and home. If you can't afford to hire an attorney, the court will appoint one for you.
  • The right to a language interpreter and/or a sign language interpreter if you don't speak or understand English
  • The right to have another court review the decisions a Juvenile Court judge makes on your case

You also have the right to ask the judge to dismiss the CRA case by filing a Motion to Dismiss in the Clerk Magistrate's office in the court where your case is heard.

Additional Resources

Your child's rights

Your child has the same rights you have in a CRA case. In addition, your child has the right to be represented by counsel at all hearings. The judge will appoint an attorney to represent your child. This attorney won't be the same attorney who represents you. The attorney will speak to your child and represent your child at all hearings.

Whether your child is brought to court under Custodial Protection or a Warrant of Protective Custody or appears in court in response to a notice or summons, your child may not be confined in handcuffs or similar restraints or court lock-up in connection with a CRA case.

Contact   for Learn about your rights in a Child Requiring Assistance case

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.