MassDOT completed the environmental process for the project and chose a preferred alternative that meets the purpose and need with the help of public input. The work will be completed in an extremely sensitive environmental resource area.
Important project elements and modifications include:
- Complete replacement of the interchange
- Elimination of the old toll booth area and weaving areas created by the current design
- Improved ramp spacing, acceleration and deceleration lanes and elimination of weaving movements
- A new I-495 bridge over I-90
- New I-495 and I-90 bridges over the MBTA/CSX/Amtrak lines
- An auxiliary lane from I-495 Northbound to Route 9
- A new Fruit Street Bridge
- A new I-495 NB bridge over Flanders Road
- Restoration and mitigation of Environmental Resource areas
The project includes a Noise Control Plan that will establish baseline sound levels throughout the project area. Quarterly noise monitoring will be conducted to ensure that construction noise remains in compliance.
Room 4260 - Project No. 607977
Boston, MA 02116