Property damage claim suspension

The RMV will suspend or revoke your learner's permit, driver's license, or right to operate, and/or vehicle registration for failure to pay for property damage caused by operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.

Table of Contents


The Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) holds administrative hearings when a property damage claim is received. 14 days prior to any suspension or revocation, the RMV will schedule a hearing and issue a hearing notice to the operator's address on file.

You must obtain a signed release of judgment from the plaintiff and present such documentation to an RMV hearings officer prior to the date of suspension/revocation. If a release of judgment is not filed prior to the intended date of suspension or revocation, your learner's permit, driver's license, or right to operate, and/or registration will be suspended or revoked, and remain that way until a release of judgment is filed.

Reinstatement eligibility

To be eligible for reinstatement after a suspension or revocation, you must:

  1. Pay the property damage claim.
  2. Provide a signed release of judgment from the plaintiff to a hearings officer.

Hardship eligibility

A customer with a suspension or revocation due to an unpaid property damage claim is not eligible to apply for a hardship license.

Additional Resources

Filing a property damage claim with the RMV

In order for the RMV to take any action against a customer who has not paid a property damage claim, the plaintiff and court must complete the following actions:

  1. The plaintiff must have brought an action in a Massachusetts court to recover damages for injury to property arising out of the use, operation, and maintenance of a motor vehicle on the roadways of Massachusetts.
  2. The court must have entered a judgment against the defendant in such action.
  3. Within 60 days after the court's finding, the RMV's driver control unit must be notified that a judgment has been entered and that the judgment debtor has willfully and intentionally failed to pay such judgment.
  4. The plaintiff or his/her attorney must file the following documents with the driver control unit:
    1. A completed notice of unsatisfied judgment for property damage form.
    2. A copy of the complaint.
    3. A copy of the execution of the case.
    4. A court certified copy of the capias or contempt order issued against the defendant.

Additional Resources



Ask the RMV Ask the RMV