What you need
- Your username and password for MassTaxConnect
- Workforce information for your business
- Type of plan offered by your business
- Your decision to purchase a plan or be self-insured
Log in to MassTaxConnect.
- Once logged into your account, click on your paid family and medical leave account.
- Click on the exemption request tab and then click on the request exemption hyperlink.
- Read through the acknowledgment. Check the box that says "Click to Acknowledge," and then click "Next."
- Enter the name, title, phone number, and email address for the person that should be contacted if there are any questions regarding this application. Answer the questions regarding your workforce, type of plan for which you are requesting an exemption from the state plan, whether you will be purchasing a plan or self-insuring, and the average size of your workforce. For this example (in the step-by-step video), we will choose a medical plan exemption qualified using a private plan. You are required to complete the fields that are indicated by a red asterisk in the top left-hand corner of the field. Because we chose a private plan for this example we must complete the medical private plan details. Click "Next" when you have completed the required fields.
- A detailed group of questions is displayed regarding the specific plan you selected on the previous page. Answer each required question by clicking on the answer that best describes your plan benefits or company policy. When you are satisfied with your answers, click "Next."
- You are now required to attach any supporting documentation that will support your request for exemption. Use the "Add Attachment" button to add a supporting document. Choose your file to upload. You may add a brief description to help identify your attachment. At least one attachment must be uploaded. If you have multiple documents, use the "Add Attachment" for each upload. When you have added all of your supporting documents, click "Next."
- Verify all the information you have entered is correct. If you need to update any previous answers, choose "Previous." If you are satisfied with your answers, choose "Submit."
You will receive a confirmation that you have successfully submitted your request. You will receive a decision within one to two business days concerning your request.
All PFML step-by-step videos and instructions (DOR)
- File a return and remit a contribution for Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
- Upload a bulk Paid Family and Medical Leave return
- Upload an Excel spreadsheet and make a payment for Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Request a Paid Family and Medical Leave exemption
For all further questions regarding applying for a Private Plan Exemption or registering your account on MassTaxConnect, please contact the Department of Revenue at (617) 466-3950 to speak to a PFML representative.