The MassDOT Aeronautics Division Airport Safety and Maintenance Program (ASMP) was specifically designed to support airport planning and development projects that are a priority for the Aeronautics Division and/or not Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) eligible. The Aeronautics Division may reimburse an airport sponsor for up to 80% of the total project cost or up to 100% of the total project cost for security improvement projects.
All public-use airports that apply for ASMP funding are included in MassDOT Aeronautics Division five-year Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). ASMP grants are distributed, according to a priority system, only to public-use airports included in both the CIP and the Massachusetts Statewide Airport System Plan (MSASP). Routine maintenance recommended in annual state airport inspections is often given priority, but airport planning and new construction are also considered eligible:
- Airport Planning & Environmental - Typical planning projects include:
- environmental permitting projects
- feasibility studies
- vegetation management projects
- projects to identify and evaluate capacity requirements.
- Airport Development - Typical airport development projects include:
- facilities or equipment needed for site preparation
- construction, alteration, and repair of runways, taxiways, aprons, and roads within airport boundaries
- construction and installation of lighting, utilities, navigational aids, and aviation-related weather reporting equipment
- safety, maintenance, and snow removal equipment
- administration buildings and related site development
- airport fencing and security cameras
- equipment to measure runway surface friction
Contact for Requirements for ASMP funding