Space heaters help to keep us warm in winter.
But space heaters can also cause deadly fires. Find out how to use space heaters safely.
Using space heaters safely
- Keep space heaters 3 feet away from drapes, furniture or other things that can burn.
- Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets. Do not use an extension cord, even a heavy-duty one with a power rating at least as high as that of the heater itself.
- Turn off a space heater when you leave the room or when you go to bed. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.
- Put heaters on a level surface away from places where someone might bump into it and knock it over.Supervise children and pets near space heaters.
- Buy heaters that are tested and labeled by a nationally recognized testing company, such as Underwriter’s Laboratories Inc.(UL).
- Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.
- Never use an unvented kerosene heater. It is illegal to sell or use them in Massachusetts.
- Read or print the brochure Space Heater Fire Safety, English or Space Heater Safety, Spanish for additional tips.