The project is being managed as part of MassDOT’s Design-Build Program. The design and construction work are being provided by the Joint Venture of BHD-O&G-AETNA I-495/I-90 JV (referred to as the JV).
New Temporary Off-Ramp Opening July 11, 2023
Crews will open a new, temporary off-ramp from I-90 Eastbound to I-495 Northbound and Southbound. The new temporary off-ramp will continue to provide 2 lanes for exiting traffic but will require motorists using the ramp to reduce their speed to safely navigate the temporary alignment. The mainline of I-90 (and I-495) will continue to provide 3 lanes per direction (except for limited off-peak lane closures) and all other ramps at the interchange will remain open in their existing configuration and alignment as part of this step of construction.
Borings Resume April 10
Crews will be completing the final group of borings during the day on the I-495 northbound shoulder for approximately three weeks and along I-90 westbound at I-495 for approximately one week.
Ongoing Fiber Conduit Installation along I-90 westbound
Crews are installing Fiber Conduit on I-90 westbound. Fiber installation along the I-495 median has been completed.
Ongoing Work Zone Setup
Crews have begun working on the sewer bypass installation on Fruit Street. Work zone set up will begin in early April, followed by demolition once the setup is complete.
Fruit Street Bridge Demolition and Overnight Detours Begin May 8
On Monday, May 8, crews will begin overnight demolition of the Fruit Street bridge in Hopkinton. Demolition is planned to occur on Monday through Friday evenings between the hours of 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. for three weeks.
Fruit Street in Hopkinton will only be open to local traffic between North Street and Saddle Hill Road while detours are in place. The demolition work requires temporary overnight detours (see detour map). During this time, the following signed detour routes will be in place for vehicles traveling on Fruit Street:
- Westbound traffic looking to cross over I-495: Turn left to head south on Saddle Hill Road. Turn slightly right onto Walker Street, then turn right onto Wood Street (MA-135 West) and continue until you reach Fruit Street.
- Eastbound traffic looking to cross over I-495: Follow detour signage in place to Wood Street (MA-135 East). Turn left onto Walker Street, then continue onto Saddle Hill Road until you reach Fruit Street.
The total number of travel lanes on either highway will remain the same, except for limited short-term lane closures on I-495 during overnight hours. All ramps within the interchange will be open at all times.
Construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
Traffic and Staging Considerations
The project will involve complete replacement of the interchange. To avoid traffic impacts, the project will:
- Maintain 3 lanes on mainlines, except for short-term closures during approved off-peak hours
- Maintain all ramp connections between I-90 and I-495, including along temporary alignments
- Maintain proper signage and markings
- Provide temporary roadway lighting along ramps for safe nighttime travel
- Provision of safe construction access/egress
- Maintain resident and local business access/egress