Log in links for this page

Superannuation Application Procedures

Retirement Guide: Members on or After 4/2/12

Table of Contents

Interaction With Your Retirement Board

  • How can I find out about the retirement benefits to which I am now entitled or to which I may be entitled in the future?

Within 30 days of receiving a written request from you or your authorized representative, your board must provide you with a written notice of the estimated benefits to which you are or may be entitled and the dates upon which you would become eligible to receive such benefits.

  • When may I file for retirement?

If you are actively employed or on a leave of absence, you can apply to your retirement board no earlier than four months before your intended date of retirement. Members of Groups 1, 2, and 4 must file a written retirement application with their respective employer, in addition to the form filed with their retirement board.

  • Will my retirement board ask me or my beneficiaries to produce additional information?

Retirement boards may request copies of particular certified records which are required by provisions of Chapter 32 or by rules and regulations of their own which are consistent with the law.

Among the documents which the board could ask you to submit are: birth certificates for you and your spouse, a marriage certificate, veteran's discharge papers, verification of student status, and proof of age for your dependent children.

  • May I apply for more than one type of retirement?

You may file simultaneous applications for superannuation, accidental, and ordinary disability, if you are eligible.

  • When can I start to collect my retirement benefits?

You should contact your board about when you can expect to receive your first payment after your retirement allowance has been calculated and approved. After the initial payment, allowance checks are due and payable on the last day of each month.

  • Am I allowed to withdraw my retirement application after I have submitted it to my retirement board?

Subject to the approval of your retirement board, you may withdraw your voluntary retirement application at any time prior to receiving your initial payment.

  • What are the provisions pertaining to the payment of small allowances?

Unless your normal yearly retirement allowance is less than $600 a year, it must be paid to you in lifetime monthly payments.

Between $360 and $600
If your normal yearly retirement allowance is computed to be between $360 and $600, you may choose between a lump sum refund of your deductions, or a monthly allowance.

Less Than $360 a Year
If your normal yearly retirement allowance is computed to be less than $360 a year, you will be paid the full amount of your accumulated total deductions in a lump sum instead of an allowance.

Dual Members
Those individuals who must have their retirement allowance calculated under the dual member provision as set out in G.L. c. 32, § 5(2)(e) may receive a retirement allowance from one of the systems which is less than $360 per year if they so choose.

Waiver of Allowance

  • May I, at any time, refuse to accept my retirement allowance?

You may waive all or any portion of a retirement allowance payable to you. In such a waiver, you may specify a certain period or you may waive until further notice.

Member-in-Service Status
You may waive your allowance and resume public employment without any limitations on your earnings. However, except in limited circumstances discussed below, the fact that you retired will make you ineligible to once again become a member-in-service. You cannot contribute to the retirement system and no additional benefits will accrue. Please see the section of this booklet pertaining to employment after superannuation retirement.

Action on Behalf of Incompetent Members

  • Will my retirement rights and benefits be protected in the event I become incompetent?

Spouse, Guardian, Conservator, Other
Any option, election, or right existing for you may be exercised or enforced for you if you have become incompetent or if, for any other reason, you are unable to act on your own behalf. Your spouse is permitted to act on your behalf if your spouse is living with you. If you have no eligible spouse, your guardian or conservator may act. The person that is found by your board to be acting in your best interest would have authority to act in the event that you have no eligible spouse, guardian, or conservator.

Date published: July 1, 2015

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.