Tax credits and free tax help for Department of Transitional Assistance families

Learn about tax credits that might lower the tax you owe and give you a refund. Find free tax help.

If you work and you have children, you may be eligible for state and federal tax credits that can lower the taxes you owe. You might even get a refund. The amount depends on your income and family size.

These credits are called the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credits (CTC) and the Massachusetts Earned Income Credit (EIC).

Tax credits that might be available to you

If you work and have children, there are certain tax credits available to you that can help maximize your tax return and save money.

You can find free tax help using the IRS’s free tax prep locator.

Here are some tax credits you might qualify for:

Federal Earned Income Tax Credit: The federal Earned Income Tax Credit, EITC or EIC, is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund.

Federal Child Tax Credit: You may be able to claim the Child Tax Credit if you have a qualifying child under the age of 17 and meet other qualifications.

Massachusetts Earned Income Tax Credit: The Massachusetts EITC is available to certain individuals or families who meet the tax requirements for the federal EITC.

Additional Resources

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.