Lists of treatment plants by town and type
Lists showing the graded facilities in Massachusetts:
A list of treatment plants with permits to discharge wastewater to groundwater:
Regulations for Wastewater Treatment Plants and Operators
- 257 CMR 2.00: Certification of Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators
The process for evaluation and certification of wastewater-treatment-facility operators.
- 314 CMR 7.00: Sewer System Extension & Connection Permit Program
This regulation governs sewer system connections and extensions to ensure proper operation of wastewater treatment facilities.
- 314 CMR 8.00: Supplemental Requirements for Hazardous Waste Management Facilities
Regulating wastewater treatment plants that treat, store, or dispose of hazardous wastes generated at the plant.
- 314 CMR 12.00: Operation & Maintenance & Pretreatment Standards for Wastewater Treatment Works and Indirect Dischargers
Establishes standards and pretreatment requirements to insure the proper operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment works. April 2014
- Annual Sewer Connection Report Form
This reporting form is provided to satisfy the requirements of 314 CMR 12.07, Recordkeeping and Reporting. February 2015.
Tools & Resources for Treatment Plant Owners and Operators
- US EPA Technical Assistance Webinars: CWA-NPDES Permit Compliance at Small Wastewater Treatment Systems
This webinar series is aimed at improving surface water quality and reducing potential impacts on drinking water by educating permittees on Clean Water Act - National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit requirements.
- Pump System Optimization & Assessments: A Management Workshop and Webinar
Presentations and information on Pump System Optimization & Assessments for Municipal Drinking Water and Wastewater Facilities workshop held November 4, 2015.
- Massachusetts Drinking Water & Wastewater Facilities Energy Management Pilot
Results of the first phase of the Massachusetts Energy Management Pilot for Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatment Facilities, designed to reduce municipal and regional treatment plant greenhouse gas emissions and energy use by 20 percent.
- Emergency Planning and Preparedness Tips for WWTP and WTP Operators
This checklist provides operators and key staff members with information and advice on critical items that should be considered and checked to help you gauge your treatment plant's emergency preparedness status.
- TR-16 Guides for the Design of Wastewater Treatment Works
The new Technical Report #16 (TR-16) covers in detail the important elements of wastewater treatment that must be considered in the design of wastewater treatment works. The content, however, has been completely updated to reflect current practices and to include advances in technology, nutrient removal, energy efficiency, and instrumentation. The intended audience includes engineers who design wastewater treatment plants, state regulators who review and approve designs, and municipalities that are soliciting professional design services for wastewater treatment facilities.
- Municipal Compliance Fact Sheet: Wastewater
What municipal officials need to know to ensure that community wastewater systems are operating effectively and properly protecting public health and the environment.
Training Information for Treatment Plants and Operators
Training from the US Environmental Protection Agency
Biosolids annual report (NETBIO) access:
Training on how to submit the 2020 Biosolids Annual Report:
Thursday, Jan 14, 2021, 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EST
Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021, 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST
Register for training:
Biosolids Training Schedule:
Additional Resources for Biosolids Training:
Training for Massachusetts Wastewater Operators (provided by NEIWPCC)