- Board of Registration in Dentistry
Massachusetts Online Prescription Monitoring Program
The Massachusetts Online Prescription Monitoring Program (MA Online PMP) is a secure website that supports safe prescribing and dispensing. The MA Online PMP allows authorized prescribers to view the prescription history of a patient for the past year.
Mandatory education requirement for all prescribers
As amended on March 14, 2016, MGL c. 94C, s. 18(e), states that all prescribers, upon initial application for a Massachusetts license to practice dentistry and subsequently during each license renewal period, must complete education relative to:
- Effective pain management;
- The risks of abuse and addiction associated with opioid medication;
- Identification of patients at risk for substance abuse disorders;
- Counseling patients about the side effects, addictive nature and proper storage and disposal of prescription medications;
- Appropriate prescription quantities for prescription medications that have an increased risk of abuse; and
- Opioid antagonists, overdose prevention treatments and instances in which a patient may be advised on both the use of and ways to access opioid antagonists and overdose prevention treatments.
Boston University School of Medicine, in cooperation with the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the New England Division of the US Drug Enforcement Agency, the Massachusetts Medical Society, and the Massachusetts Hospital Association, has developed an educational program entitled Safe and Effective Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Pain that meets the educational objectives of MGL c. 94C, s. 18(e).
This educational program is a web-based activity supported by funding from the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine, and by an unrestricted educational grant from the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and is offered at no charge to prescribers. At the completion of the program, a certificate for 3 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ can be downloaded and printed; this credit equates to 3 CEUs for the dentist with prescriptive authority.
The Board has also approved courses offered by Dr. David Keith and Dr. Richard S. Harold through the Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS) and a course offered by Dr. Howard Pactovis of Dynamic Dental Safety, LLC. For info on the MDS courses, contact the MDS at 800-342-8747. For info on the course offered by Dr. Pactovis, call 855-674-2337.
Please note that MGL 94C, Section 18(e) does not specify a minimum number of contact hours to comply with this education requirement.
Through your signature on the Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration (MCSR) form and on your dental license application and/or renewal form, you attest that you are in compliance with all state tax and child support laws, mandatory reporting laws, and the Board’s governing statutes and regulations, including continuing education requirements.