Who we serve
We are a non-regulatory state agency with a legislative mandate to:
- Help state health care agencies and providers work as part of a total system of patient safety and meet their responsibilities to keep patients safe;
- Develop new ways for consumers to be included in a statewide program for improving patient safety;
- Analyze data and research to support patient safety initiatives;
- Administer an education and research program to increase awareness about medical error and error prevention strategies for health care professionals, facilities, agencies, and the general public; and
- Share information about evidence-based practices to enhance patient safety.
The Betsy Lehman Center was launched in 2004 within the state’s Executive Office of Health and Human Services and reestablished in 2012 as an independent entity within the Center for Health Information and Analysis (CHIA).