About the Client Assistance Program

If you have a disability and want to work or want more independence, contact us

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) can give you information, referral, and advocacy services if you are a person with a disability having trouble getting vocational rehabilitation and independent living related services.  

In Massachusetts, Massachusetts Commission for the Blind and Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission administer vocational rehabilitation services. Independent Living programs are provided through ten centers across the state. If you are an applicant to, or consumer of these programs, you can contact CAP if you disagree with decisions about your services or have questions about your rights.  CAP is neutral when investigating complaints. 

CAP operates within the Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD) under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education's Rehabilitation Services Administration.

Privacy and Independence

All dealings with CAP are free and strictly confidential. We will not discuss anything about you without your consent.

CAP is independent of the vocational rehabilitation and independent living agencies.

Additional Resources for


CAP provides advocacy and information. CAP also works to ensure that consumers are placed in integrated settings and receive competitive wages. CAP may help you get services from the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind and the Independent Living Centers in Massachusetts.

We will gather facts, answer questions, and evaluate your issue.  We will advise you of your rights, and discuss potential ways to resolve your problem.  Some examples of assistance CAP may provide are:

  • Investigating creative and alternative ways to reach your goal
  • Negotiating services
  • Fixing a communication problem 
  • Helping reach a compromise 
  • Attending a meeting with you
  • Representing you at an appeal or hearing
  • Helping you find other resources that you need

Disability Disclosure in Employment Workshop Series

CAP is hosting a series of three interactive workshops:

  1. The Decision to Disclose
  2. Reasonable Accommodations in Employment
  3. Disability Discrimination in Employment 

Learn more and sign-up for Disability Disclosure in Employment Workshops.

Vocational rehabilitation services

The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind and the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission provide vocational rehabilitation services, such as career guidance and counseling, and can provide funding for education or other training, adaptive equipment, transportation and equipment.

Independent living

There are ten Centers for Independent Living across Massachusetts. These centers provide five core services: information and referral, independent living skills training, peer counseling, advocacy, and transition services.

Learn more about Centers for Independent Living.

Additional Resources for