The APR program preserves and protects agricultural land, including designated farmland soils, which are a finite natural resource, from being built upon for non-agricultural purposes or used for any activity detrimental to agriculture. It is a voluntary program which offers a non-development alternative to farmers and other owners of "prime" and "state important" agricultural land who are faced with a decision regarding future use and disposition of their farms.
The Program purchases the non-agricultural value of the farmland in exchange for a permanent deed restriction which prevents uses and activities that may impact the present or future agricultural use and viability of the property.
Additional Resources for Overview
Program Criteria and Eligibility
Landowners with at least five-acres of land in agricultural production for the last two years and with suitable soils.
- Farm must be at least five (5) acres in size.
- Land has to have been actively devoted to agriculture for the two (2) immediately preceding tax years.
- Farm must produce at least $500 in gross sales per year for the first five acres plus $5 for each additional acre or 50 cents per each additional acre of woodland and/or wetland.
Other criteria considered:
- Suitability and productivity of land for agricultural use based on soil classification, physical features, and location.
- The degree of threat to the continuation of agriculture on the land due to circumstances such as owner's death, retirement, financial positions, development pressure, or insecurity due to rental agreements.
- The degree to which the land is of a size or composition to be economically viable for agricultural purposes and the likelihood that it will remain in agriculture for the foreseeable future.
Policies and Guidelines
- APR Regulations - 330 CMR 22.00
- APR Renewable Energy Policy Draft For Comments
- APR Special Permit Policy
- APR Dwelling guidelines
- APR Assignment of Option to Purchase at Agricultural Value
- APR Request for Waiver of an Option to Purchase at Agricultural Value
- OPAV Assignment Ranking Sheet
- APR OPAV Waiver Assessment Sheet
- APR Requests for a Certificate of Approval to Subdivide Land
- Requests for Waiver of the Departments Right of First Refusal for Purchase of Real Estate
- Assignment of Right of First Refusal
- APR Waiver ROFR Assessment Sheet
- APR Waiver ROFR Assignment Assessment Sheet