The Berkshire District Attorney’s Office is seeking to hire a full-time attorney who will join the Appellate Unit as an Assistant District Attorney. Attorneys from diverse personal and professional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
MISSION OF THE BERKSHIRE DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
The Berkshire District Attorney's Office is charged with the mission of prosecuting criminal offenses in Berkshire County in a fair and efficient manner. The Office is required to provide staffing, equipment, and services to the citizens of Berkshire County and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to meet that objective.
The Office is a Commonwealth agency, established in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 12, Sections 12 and 13. The Office is responsible for all criminal prosecutions in Berkshire County, covering everything from misdemeanors to major felonies. The Office handles cases in the County’s District Courts (including Jury sessions), Juvenile Courts, and Superior Court, and is responsible for all appeals to the State Appeals Court and Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. In addition, the Office provides critical services and programs to victims and their families and to the community at large.
The position requires attention to detail, careful legal research, and the efficient and timely completion of briefs and memoranda of law. In addition to handling all phases of direct appeals in the Massachusetts Appeals Court and Supreme Judicial Court, the successful candidate will maintain a significant caseload involving a variety of post-conviction matters, including: motions to revise and revoke sentences, motions to withdraw a guilty plea; motions for a new trial; and civil forfeiture. Additional duties include assisting trial attorneys with motions to suppress and other evidentiary issues; motions to dismiss; motions in limine; and drafting jury instructions. The appellate attorney may also be required to analyze and develop policy initiatives and proposed legislation on behalf of the District Attorney.
- JD from accredited law school and member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar;
- A minimum of three years of appellate experience, is preferred;
- Must possess the ability to independently handle a large, complex case load;
- Significant understanding of criminal law and procedure, with an emphasis on appellate and case law;
- The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a connection to the communities we serve and an interest in supporting a respectful and inclusive work environment;
- The breadth of an applicant’s legal experience and commitment to public service will also be considered, along with their written and oral legal-analytical skills;
- Capacity for fairness, and possess a strong work ethic with excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and be part of a team; and
- Strong computer skills, must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
All full time positions offer a State benefit package that includes medical/dental/vision insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement plans, and paid vacation, personal and sick leave and paid parental leave. Payroll is paid bi-weekly and based on a 37.5 hour work week (normally 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of background check. All positions serve at the pleasure of the District Attorney. Preference is given to bilingual candidates. Berkshire District Attorney's Office is an EEO Employer with a firm commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in hiring practices.
Please send cover letter, resume and references to Dina Guiel Lampiasi at Dina.GuielLampiasi@mass.gov