Instructions for apprentice license application
- Please read all instructions before starting your online application for an Apprentice Sheet Metal Worker License. To qualify for an Apprentice license, applicants must be employed by a master licensee, be of good moral character and be at least 17 years of age. Your application must include a recent 2” x 2” color passport photo.
- You may apply and pay online using the ePLACE Portal. First you will need to register and create an account on the ePLACE Portal. This will allow you to apply for licenses, make online payments, apply for permits, renew your license, and update your contact information through your online account. Click here for instructions on creating an ePLACE Portal account and applying for a license.
- If you have any questions, contact the Board before submitting the online application. This application is only for those who do not already hold this license in Massachusetts. If you already hold this license in Massachusetts and wish to renew or reinstate it, please contact Board staff via email at email@example.com or call 617-727-4454 for more information.
- Incomplete applications will only remain open for 180 days after which they will be closed and a new application and fee is required.
- Apprentice applicants that have completed education from a Board approved sheet metal training program or Board approved Massachusetts Vocational School may be eligible for credit towards journeyperson licensure. Please upload a copy of your diploma, certificate of completion, or transcripts along with your online application.
- For a list of Board approved schools and training centers visit the Board website www.mass.gov/dpl/boards/sm.
- Apprentice applicants that have out of state, out of country or other non-Board approved sheet metal training, education or work experience should contact the Board office for information on applying for credit towards journeyperson licensure. No credit will be given for work experience in Massachusetts after February 19, 2011 without being a licensed apprentice employed by a master sheet metal worker.
- If you are ineligible for a Social Security Number, contact the Board for instructions.
- Please note the address that you use as your Mailing Address is public record and will be released to anyone upon request.
- If you have been convicted of a crime, you must list all offenses inclusive of OUI, DUI, and Operating after/with suspended license or registration. Dispositions of “continued without finding” (“CWOF”) or “admission to sufficient of facts” must also be reported. Do not include minor traffic offense(s).
- Please upload your “Statement of the Employing Master” Sheet Metal Worker Form that must be completed by the Master sheet metal worker. All forms are available on the Board website.
- Please upload your notarized CORI authorization form. All forms are available on the Board website.
- In order to submit your application after you have completed it, you will be required to submit a payment online for $65.00 in U.S. funds from a U.S. based account. Be advised, this fee is not refundable. Please note that your application cannot be submitted online without payment of the correct fee. The fee includes both application processing and your first license.
- Must upload a 2” x 2” color passport photo
- Include certificates of completion for any Board approved Training (if applicable)
- Must upload the “Statement of Employing Master” Form
- Must upload the “CORI Authorization Form”
- Must pay $65.00 non-refundable online application / license fee in U.S. funds from a U.S. based account