Log in links for this page

Business Entity Vehicle Purchase

All incorporated entities, such as corporations and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), must be registered with the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Corporations Division before applying for a vehicle registration in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts General Laws Chapters 90 and 90D require that a vehicle be registered and titled in the name of the legal owner. If the owner is a business entity, the vehicle must be registered and titled in the legal business name. A "Doing Business As" (DBA) is not a legal entity. Therefore, vehicles cannot be registered or titled to a DBA.

Business entities include Incorporated Companies, Limited Liability Companies, Foreign Corporations, Sole Proprietors, Trusts, and Partnerships.


Business entity requirements for vehicle registration

In order to register a vehicle in a business entity name, the following must be provided to the RMV:

  • Legal name
  • Mailing address
  • Business address (if different)
  • Federal Identification (FID) number

A business entity must supply proof of this information from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This proof must not be older than 2 years.

Acceptable proof of your Federal Identification Number (FID)

Acceptable proof of FID includes the following IRS documents:

  • Form 147C
  • Form 5372 - Notice of New Employer Identification Number Assigned
  • CP575 notice (issued by IRS)
  • Certificate of Exemption Form ST-2 (issued by the Department of Revenue)

Proof of these Internal Revenue Service documents must be presented to an RMV Service Center. The documents should be 2 years old or less. Fax copies and photocopies of the above forms are acceptable. Application forms, such as the SS-4 form, are not accepted as proof.


Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback