Continuing education requirements
In accordance with AR 2-212 EMT Continuing Education Standards required continuing education (Con-Ed) used for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) recertification must meet specific requirements:
- Courses must hold an Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) approval/registration number, issued by a Regional EMS Office or OEMS.
- Courses may also be approved by Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE). CAPCE is a private, nonprofit national accrediting body for EMS continuing education courses and course providers.
- All Continuing Education may be completed using Distributive Education. Distributive Education (DE) courses are online, self-paced courses without a live instructor. DE courses will have either a T3 (OEMS) or F3 (CAPCE) approval number.
Where can I take continuing education courses?
Courses may be taken at a DPH-accredited EMT training institution, an ambulance service or municipal first responder agency, a hospital or with an instructor who has obtained a DPH OEMS approval number. Complete lists of approved continuing education courses may be obtained by contacting one of Massachusetts’ five Regional EMS Council offices.
EMTs are reminded to retain documentation of completion for every course they take. This could be a course completion certificate, copy of completed sign-in sheet (roster), or other documentation.
Information for course sponsors and instructors
- Course sponsors can request approval for credit by completing the Non-Accredited EMS Continuing Education Program application (DOC) and following the submission instructions included.
- Instructors are required to use the Continuing Education Roster form (DOC) to document student attendance and completion, and must retain completed sign-in sheets for audit.
Special Credit for non-approved courses
- EMS Personnel may receive Continuing Education credit for non-approved courses under special circumstance.
- Applicants are required to complete the Special Credit Request Form. Please read the eligibility criteria and requirements carefully.
Please note that no course is guaranteed special credit approval. All such courses must meet the standards of Administrative Requirement 2-212.