This page contains information for schools about what applications they will need to submit to in order to become a licensed occupational school. It also includes information about obtaining instructor and staff approval, which occurs at licensure, renewal, and anytime a school hires someone new.
Please note that not all of the forms on this page have been updated to reflect the new contact information for the Office of Private Occupational Schools. The new phone number is 617-701-8719, facsimile is 617-701-8612, and email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Schools should also update DPL's contact information on its own documentation (enrollment agreements, catalogues, website, etc.)
DPL will review license applications and conduct criminal background checks of principals, administrators, employees, and other individuals who are related to private occupational schools. Schools also must furnish a bond with surety or a form of indemnification acceptable to DPL in an amount determined by the OSA of not less than $5,000.
Online Initial and Renewal Applications and Instructions
All applications for initial school licensure and renewal of school licensure must be submitted and paid for online through the ePLACE Portal. Additionally, all applications for new staff and instructors must be submitted online. DPL has also established new methods for schools to apply for new programs and amendments to same, through school’s ePortal accounts; please see the new form and instructions below.
School Licensure Applications and Checklists
- Memo: Prospective Applicants for Private Occupational School Licensure (steps to apply for an occupational school license)
- Occupational Schools Renewal Fee Worksheet (for school's use only)
- Licensure and Oversight of Private Occupational Massage Therapy Schools
- Technical Assistance Handout: Prospective Nurse Aide Training Schools Application Process
Enrollment Agreements and Program Cost Worksheet
- Technical Assistance Handout: Sample Enrollment Agreement Updated February 13, 2020 (required for all initial and renewal applications)
- Technical Assistance Handout: Sample Administrative Costs for Enrollment Agreements
- Program Cost Worksheet
The Program Cost Worksheet is for any programs (1) beginning after July 1, 2017, and (2) exceeding $2,000 in total cost, schools must use the Program Cost Worksheet. The link also includes a memo about the Program Cost Worksheet and some FAQs that are meant to guide schools. Schools are encouraged to contact DPL with any questions.
***The Division of Professional Licensure has received feedback regarding the Program Cost Worksheet. In turn, DPL has updated the worksheet to (1) clarify that the title should always be “Program Cost Worksheet”; (2) added a place for both the student’s name and, if applicable, a student’s ID; (3) clarified that grants can be both state and federal; and, finally, (4) added a Word version so schools can make changes, as needed, for their own school.
Ethics Training for Sales Representatives, Admissions Representatives, and Administrators of Licensed Private Occupational Schools
All sales representatives, admissions representatives, and administrators must submit evidence of having completed the Ethics Training at initial licensure and at each renewal. Evidence of completion consists of reading the Ethics Training slides and then signing the last page and forwarding that page to DPL.
Facility Inspection Reports
- Instructor Certification Form (required for all initial and renewal applications)
- Technical Assistance Handout: Instructor Certification Form
- Additional Requirements
Miscellaneous Application Documents
- Policy Regarding Review of Conviction and Pending Criminal Case Data Regarding Applicants for Private Occupational School Licensure (Effective February 3, 2016)
- Questions and Answers Regarding DPL's CORI/SORI Process for Occupational Schools (Updated April 25, 2016)
Program, Course and Equipment
- Program or Course Approval Form (updated form and processes effective 10/19/20)
- Instructional Equipment List (must be uploaded online or uploaded as an attachment)
- Technical Assistance Handout: Changing Course Names - Impact on Instructor Approvals
- Memorandum: Submitting Sales Representative’s Initial and Renewal Applications Online
- Sales Representative Application Form and Checklist
- CORI Acknowledgment Form
- Sales Representative Information Form
- Certificate for Blanket Bond for Private Occupational School Sales Representatives
- Blanket Bond Form for Private Occupational School Sales Representatives
School and Student Records
- Memo: Student Records Retention and Methods Policy – Updated July 2019 Student Records and Transcripts
- Staff Certification Form (required for all initial and renewal applications)