This page contains information for schools about what applications they will need to submit to in order to become a licensed occupational school. It also includes information about obtaining instructor and staff approval, which occurs at licensure, renewal, and anytime a school hires someone new. DPL will review license applications and conduct criminal background checks of principals, administrators, employees, and other individuals who are related to private occupational schools. Schools also must furnish a bond with surety or a form of indemnification acceptable to DPL in an amount determined by the OSA of not less than $5,000.
Online Initial and Renewal Applications and Instructions
DPL is moving toward a paperless application process. Schools may now apply for a new school license, or renew their existing license through the online portal. Schools should be aware that submission of a paper application will increase the amount of time it takes to review that application. Therefore, schools are strongly encouraged to use the online system.
School Licensure Applications and Checklists
- Memo: Prospective Applicants for Private Occupational School Licensure (steps to apply for an occupational school license)
- Application and Checklist for Initial or Renewal of Private Occupational School License (not needed if applying or renewing online)
- Occupational Schools Renewal Fee Worksheet (not needed if renewing online)
- Licensure and Oversight of Private Occupational Massage Therapy Schools
- Technical Assistance Handout: Prospective Nurse Aide Training Schools Application Process
Enrollment Agreements and Program Cost Worksheet
- Technical Assistance Handout: Sample Enrollment Agreement Updated March 1, 2017 (required for all initial and renewal applications)
- Technical Assistance Handout: Sample Administrative Costs for Enrollment Agreements
- Program Cost Worksheet
The Program Cost Worksheet is for any programs (1) beginning after July 1, 2017, and (2) exceeding $2,000 in total cost, schools must use the Program Cost Worksheet. The link also includes a memo about the Program Cost Worksheet and some FAQs that are meant to guide schools. Schools are encouraged to contact DPL with any questions.
***The Division of Professional Licensure has received feedback regarding the Program Cost Worksheet. In turn, DPL has updated the worksheet to (1) clarify that the title should always be “Program Cost Worksheet”; (2) added a place for both the student’s name and, if applicable, a student’s ID; (3) clarified that grants can be both state and federal; and, finally, (4) added a Word version so schools can make changes, as needed, for their own school.
Ethics Training for Sales Representatives, Admissions Representatives, and Administrators of Licensed Private Occupational Schools
All sales representatives, admissions representatives, and administrators must submit evidence of having completed the Ethics Training at initial licensure and at each renewal. Evidence of completion consists of reading the Ethics Training slides and then signing the last page and forwarding that page to DPL.
Facility Inspection Reports
- Instructor Certification Form (required for all initial and renewal applications)
- Technical Assistance Handout: Instructor Certification Form
- Additional Requirements
Miscellaneous Application Documents
- Policy Regarding Review of Conviction and Pending Criminal Case Data Regarding Applicants for Private Occupational School Licensure (Effective February 3, 2016)
- Questions and Answers Regarding DPL's CORI/SORI Process for Occupational Schools (Updated April 25, 2016)
Program, Course and Equipment
- Program or Course Approval Form (required for all initial and renewal applications)
- Instructional Equipment List (not needed if applying online)
- Technical Assistance Handout: Changing Course Names - Impact on Instructor Approvals
School and Student Records
- Staff Certification Form (required for all initial and renewal applications)
Surety Forms and Instructions
- Bond Form for M.G.L. c. 112 §263 Private Occupational Schools
- Certificate for Blanket Bond for Private Occupational School Sales Representatives
- Blanket Bond Form for Private Occupational School Sales Representatives
- Memorandum of Instruction for Letters of Credit
- Sample Letter of Credit
- Memorandum of Instruction for Certificates of Deposit