Log in links for this page

Information for occupational school students

Find information for current, prospective, and former occupational school students.

Table of Contents

Students attending occupational schools

Occupational school and sales representative licensing rules protect students from potential harm such as inadequate education, sudden school closure, or delayed tuition refunds.

A student who believes a school or sales representative is not complying with the law may file a complaint with DOL online or by mail. Every complaint is investigated, and appropriate cases are prosecuted.

In addition, under M.G.L. c. 112, § 263 students have the right to sue schools or representatives for misleading or false advertising.They may be awarded triple damages or $10,000, whichever is greater, plus legal fees. DOL is not involved in these lawsuits. Schools must establish a complaint procedure by law.

Students of closed occupational schools

If your school closed unexpectedly and you were not able to complete your studies, you may be eligible for a tuition refund or to participate in a "teach-out" of your program. Check the closed school bulletins for your school.

If your school is closed you may be able to get a copy of your student records or transcript

Students considering attending an occupational school

Thinking about attending an occupational school?  These links will help you know what questions to ask schools, what resources are available to finance your training, and what consumer issues to consider.

Know Before You Go

Here are some resources. While some links are specific to colleges, that information often applies to occupational school programs.

These links will help you think about some basic skills you might need to develop before you enroll.

Here's some links to resources to help you decide how to finance your education.

Consumer awareness

Transfer awareness

For students planning ahead or thinking about transferring to another school after they finish their training, these links offer helpful information to consider.

  • MassTransfer is an interactive website for students seeking to transfer into a Massachusetts community college or other Massachusetts public college
  • Transition to College Programs are for students entering college for the first time from adult basic education programs

Other state agency links

  • Division of Apprentice Standards (DAS) is the state agency responsible for promoting, developing, and servicing registered apprenticeship programs in Massachusetts

School accreditations and accrediting agencies

By law, occupational schools licensed by the Division of Occupational Licensure (DOL) may advertise accreditations only from agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE). Find a listing of USDOE-approved accrediting agencies. Note that you must use the exact name of the school when looking up a school or accrediting agency.

Accreditation in the United States from the U.S. Department of Education explains what accreditation means for you and the school you are considering. For more information on accreditation:

Contact   for Information for occupational school students


To receive written instructions on how to submit an application, renew your license, change your name or address, request a duplicate license, or obtain a verification of license, please email us at: Email Office of Private Occupational School Education at occupational.schools@mass.gov




1000 Washington Street, 7th Floor, Boston, MA 02118

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.