About the application fee
- Federal law generally requires provider applicants for enrollment or reenrollment into a Medicaid program to pay a federal application fee.
See 42 CFR § 455.460.
- For the calendar year 2021, the application fee is $599. This fee may change from year to year based on adjustments to the Consumer Price Index for Urban Areas (CPI-U).
- The fee applies to certain provider applicants who are
- Revalidating, or
- Adding a new service location.
- Some providers are exempt from the fee.
- Unless you are exempt or have an approved hardship request, we can't process your application until you pay the fee.
- The fee is nonrefundable. If you don't meet the participatory requirements, or don't submit the required documentation within the required time frame, the fee will not be refunded. Any further applications for enrollment or reenrollment will require a new application fee.
- You must print a copy of your confirmation of application fee payment and submit it with your application.
- To pay the fee, you must use the secure payment site.
- MassHealth does not accept paper checks for the application fee.
Provider types subject to the fee
The following provider types must pay the fee. All others are exempt.
- Acute inpatient hospitals
- Chronic inpatient hospitals
- ICF-MR state schools schools (Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities)
- Psychiatric inpatient hospitals
- Semi-acute inpatient hospitals
- Skilled Nursing Facilities that do not participate in Medicare
Payments made to Medicare or to the Medicaid program of another state
If you already paid the application fee to Medicare or the Medicaid program of another state, you don't have to pay an additional fee.
In such cases, you must:
- Complete the Attestation of Application Fee Payment form.
- Submit it with your application.
- Mail the form and your provider application to:
MassHealth Provider Enrollment
P.O. Box 121205
Boston, MA 02112-1205
For OLTSS providers, mail to
P.O. Box 159108
Boston, MA 02215
Additional Resources for
Request for hardship exception
In cases of significant financial hardship, the application fee may be waived.
See the Request hardship exception link below for more information.