The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) have developed a new survey process for long term care facilities, which will be implemented beginning November 28, 2017. This new resident-centered survey process was developed by CMS to effectively evaluate the quality of life and care for nursing home residents and promote consistency in surveys nationwide.
The information and resources provided below may assist Massachusetts long term care facilities in preparation for the new survey process. Information about future DPH trainings on the long term care survey process will be posted as it becomes available.
To learn more about the survey procedures under the new survey process, please review the CMS Long Term Care Survey Process Procedure Guide.
If you have any questions regarding the new Long Term Care Survey Process, please contact the Regional Supervisor for your facility.
- North Region – Catherine Congo at: Catherine.Congo@MassMail.state.ma.us
- West Region – Denise Egan at: Denise.Egan@MassMail.state.ma.us
- South Region – Patrice Faysal at: Patrice.Faysal@MassMail.state.ma.us
Please use this list to determine the region in which your facility is located.
DPH Training Resources
In December 2017, the Department of Public Health (DPH) held an informational webinar to update nursing homes on how the changes to the survey process will be incorporated into the Nursing Home Survey Tool, also known as the Nursing Home Report Card.
In October 2017, the Department of Public Health (DPH) held 3 webinars on the new Long Term Care Survey Process (LTCSP) for nursing homes in Massachusetts. These webinars provided participants with an overview of the changes that would take place in the new survey process.
CMS Training Resources
CMS provides several training resources on the LTCSP, as well as the requirements that are applicable to nursing homes, on its website.
- CMS Nursing Home Website
- CMS Provider Training Video
This one-hour training video for providers explains the rationale for adopting a new survey process, detailed guidance on how to complete the “Matrix for Providers” (resident roster), and key changes to regulatory requirements applicable to nursing homes, such as antibiotic stewardship.
- CMS Topical Training Videos for Surveyors and Providers
The full list of CMS videos created for the training of state survey staff on the Long Term Care Survey Process is provided below. To access these training videos and, click the link above and select “Launch the Course.” You will see the full list of training topics, including the video and slide set for each. Depending upon the settings of your computer, it may be necessary to access these videos via Google Chrome.
- Individual topics include:
- Nursing Services (8/4/2017)
- Quality of Life and Quality of Care (8/4/2017)
- Quality Assurance and Process Improvement Plan – The Basics (8/4/2017)
- Pharmacy Services (8/4/2017)
- Person-Centered Care (8/4/2017)
- Infection Control (8/4/2017)
- Freedom from Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation (8/4/2017)
- Facility Assessment (8/4/2017)
- Behavioral Health (8/4/2017)
- Appendix PP – Overview of Revised Interpretive Guidance (8/4/2017)
- Admission, Transfer, and Discharge (8/4/2017)
- Individual topics include:
CMS survey-related forms
Use these links to access fillable versions of the CMS forms that must be completed during the survey: