Autism support centers
- Providing support, information, referral, family activities and events, educational and therapeutic programs for children and adults with autism, as well as siblings, school vacation events, and community partnerships to area businesses.
- Autism Insurance Resource Center
A resource for consumers, providers, clinicians, employers, and educators on issues related to medical insurance for autism treatment.
- Autism Insurance Resource Center (PDF)
- List of Local Health Centers that can Assist with MA health Applications
Autism housing pathways
Autism Housing Pathways (AHP) was created to provide information, support and resources for families who seek to create secure, supported housing for their adult children with disabilities. Autism Housing Pathways seeks to foster education and awareness and disseminate information about the creation of self-directed housing for individuals with autism and other developmental disabilities; to promote and support the formation and maintenance of such housing; and to assist families in creating self-directed housing for their adult children that supports their residential, recreational and community needs.
- Turning 18 Checklist (PDF)
- Turning 18 and Applying for Section 8 Voucher
- Mini-tutorial on housing for individuals with autism and other developmental disabilities, including housing subsidies and supportive services
- Language Translations for Autism Housing Pathways Presentations
Additional resources for families
- Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts (AFAM)
Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts strives to assure the human and civil rights of individuals of all ages across the entire Autism Spectrum and promote the availability of essential supports so that they may live fully and enjoy the same opportunities as other citizens of the Commonwealth. They will educate individuals with ASD, their families and other AFAM members/supporters to be effective, vigorous agents of change
Training that is available to police officers, firefighters and emergency and courtroom personal. The presenters are First Responders with direct knowledge of Autism Spectrum Disorders through a family member. The goal of ALEC is to help foster a deeper understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) among public safety and law enforcement.
- The Arc of Massachusetts
Arc of Massachusetts provides information, resources and support to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities including autism and their families. The Arc Fact sheets, Transition Timelines Guide and webinars are available on the website. The Arc also organizes a statewide biannual Transition Conference for families.
- Asperger/Autism Network (AANE) works with individuals, families, and professionals to help people with Asperger Syndrome and similar autism spectrum profiles build meaningful, connected lives.
- Attainable Savings Plan
The Attainable Savings Plan (ABLE) can help disabled individuals and their families save for their disability expenses while keeping benefits such as Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid. Earnings in the account grow tax deferred and, when used for qualified disability expenses, are federal income tax-free. Money in the account does not impact Medicaid benefits and balances below $100,000 do not impact SSI benefits. For more information please click on the link below.
- Autism Speaks
Autism Speaks is an autism advocacy organization in the United States that sponsors autism research and conducts awareness and outreach activities aimed at families, government and the public.
- Autism Speaks Transition Tool Kit
This tool kit will provide you with suggestions and options for you to consider as you set out on this journey toward finding your child's own unique path to adulthood.
- ATN/AIR-P Puberty and Adolescence Resource: A Guide for Parents
A tool to provide guidance on the subject of puberty for pre-teens with ASD to increase families' understanding of puberty and their ability to adapt to these changes with confidence.
- Community-based Skills Assessment
A tool to help you develop a personalized transition plan.
- Autism Speaks Autism Response Team
Have questions? Contact the Autism Response Team for information, tools, and resources.
1-888 AUTISM2 (288-4762)
En Español: 1-888-772-9050
- Autism Spectrums Medication Guide A guide from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Autism Spectrum Disorder Parent’s Medication Guide (PDF)
- Disability Scoop - A premiere source for Developmental Disability News.
- Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism
Through programs and partnerships, the Flutie Foundation helps people with autism get access to care; lead more active lifestyles; and grow toward adult independence.
- Exceptional Lives offers a free Resource Directory, a searchable online database of disability programs and providers, and free How-to Guides, which walk people step by step through processes like special education, health insurance, guardianship and SSI.
- Federation for Special Needs provides information, support, and assistance to parents of children with disabilities, their professional partners, and their communities.
- Frequently Asked Questions about ARICA can be found at www.mass.gov/news/autism-insurance-resource-center-faqs.
- Greater Massachusetts Special-Needs and events - Sped Child and Teen
A website that provides disability specific information on programs and services.