- Update your operating system and virus protection regularly.
- Don’t download files sent from strangers or posted on social media.
- Confirm that your computer's firewall is enabled.
- Check for a green "lock" icon in the address bar of your web browser before logging in or submitting information to a website. This indicates that the website you are using is secure.
- When using a public computer, be sure to log out of your accounts and websites when you are finished.
- Use a strong password for your computer and for online accounts that is a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Use your mobile device's security features, including encryption, passcodes, and fingerprint or facial-recognition sensors.
Don’t respond to unsolicited emails that ask for personal information, even if they appear to come from a bank or other business. Thieves can replicate emails and websites from legitimate companies to try to trick you into revealing your personal information.