Senior SAFE is a grant program that supports fire and life safety education for seniors. Seniors have a high risk of dying in a fire. Fire and burns risks for seniors include: cooking, smoking, home oxygen use, and electrical and heating dangers.
Senior SAFE also aims to improve safety in senior housing. Programs include:
- smoke and carbon monoxide alarm installation
- testing and replacing batteries
- installation of house numbers
- heating limiting devices on stoves
- in-hood stove fire extinguishers
Education is key to improving the safety of seniors at home. Senior SAFE creates partnerships between agencies that serve seniors and fire departments. Together, these agencies collaborate on local fire and life safety education programs.
Massachusetts fire departments can apply for FY22 Senior SAFE grants and view the requirements here.