DFS supports local fire departments with:
• The Massachusetts Firefighting Academy (MFA),
• Hazardous Materials Emergency Response (Hazmat),
• The Special Operations Unit,
• The State Police Fire & Explosion Investigation Unit (F&EIU),
• Occupational cancer awareness, prevention, and early detection programs, and
• The Fire Safety Division (FSD).
The Fire Safety Division provides:
• Fire and Electrical Code development support to the Board of Fire Prevention Regulations;
• Code development support to the Board of Boiler Rules;
• Fire code enforcement support;
• Boiler code enforcement support;
• Licensing of regulated industries;
• Fire data and statistics, and
• Resources for fire and life safety education.