The SORH was first established in 1994 at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH). The MDPH SORH is funded through multiple federal grants from the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy at HRSA with considerable additional matching and in-kind resources from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and other collaborating partners.
The program has developed a successful institutional framework that links rural communities with state and federal resources to help create solutions to rural health problems.
- Links rural communities with state and federal resources
- Collects and distributes rural health information
- Coordinates rural health networking activities
- Provides technical assistance for the planning, development, and implementation of local rural health projects
- Provides leadership to strengthen local, state, and federal partnerships
- Secures resources to improve rural health
- Administers the MA Rural Hospital Programs including the Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Program and the Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program
- Provides leadership and coordination for special rural initiatives